Tube Flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Flies

Hi there, does anyone tie tube flies with the dressing extending past the treble hook, or do you think it's better to let the treble protrude from the dressing. I have been informed by a professional fly dresser that the latter is better. Please forward your opinions.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Holly,

as a rule I would always allow the dressing to protrude beyond the hook, almost hiding its presence. This would apply for tube flies and also secret weapons etc.

I don't think stopping the dressing short and allowing the hook to be part of the attraction really lends much to the dressing and it certainly doesn't enhance the movement of the fibres etc.

Having said that, I tend to fish doubles now, so the third hook of a treble that can limit movement of a longer wing does not come into play.

TT.

Comment

Reply to TT

Many thanks TT, for your constructive rapid reply, holly

Comment

Im with TT on this Holly, its a matter of preference and how the finished tube looks to you, and if your confident in it, I tended to tie the hairwing to extend the treble but only to a point where it is balanced and manageable, the longer the wing the more chance of tangling especially at night time when you tend to cast a little quicker and more erratic than you would normally do through the day.

Mike

Comment

Tube Flies

Cheers Mike, very much appreciated.

Regards, Holly.

Comment

Jewel, i agee with the tangling bit but that can be compensated for by slowing down the casting action and 'opening' up the loop, this will also make accuracy and placement of lures at night easier especially when using large flies. It takes some getting used to but when masterd it will make life much easier.
            another thing to take into consideration when winging flies is what material to use in a longer trailing wing, fox being soft and supple is more likely to wrap than say a stiffer material like say bucktail, also posting the wing and using a double ala scandi style also cuts down wraping, this can be useful on weighted conehead style.
            jj

Comment

Yep a stiffer material definaty does aid things on a longer wing, also used to support a tad of more mobile fibre over it, the scandi wrap also a good idea, I also fully agree with the opening the loop, it makes sense, this in itself is not always possible depending on the stretches fished, IE low tree cover and tight places.

Mike

Comment

Ahhh hand to hand combat! Jump roll, switch, skip casts or just get it out anyway you can, alot of my local rivers are like that and far more enjoyable for it , but i suppose that would be another thread in itself!
                Last edited by jj1; 30-11-2013, 13:46.

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
                  Ahhh hand to hand combat! Jump roll, switch, skip casts or just get it out anyway you can, alot of my local rivers are like that and far more enjoyable for it , but i suppose that would be another thread in itself!
                  Never been much into all that fancy breakdance casting stuff myself jj, can get the line nicely wraped around my neck on a good day/night as it is now without making things to complicated LOL :>

Mike
                  Last edited by Blue Jewel; 01-12-2013, 06:38. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
                    Certainly a thread l would like to read jj1, currently l'm trying to learn the jump roll, which will be of great use on my local.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisc161076 View Post
                      Certainly a thread l would like to read jj1, currently l'm trying to learn the jump roll, which will be of great use on my local.

Don't know if it's any use to you but the best advice I give anybody on this is video yourself. Camcorders are now dirt cheap as is a tripod. You can marry them up to a mobile phone to make them truly 'remote'. This was a lesson I was giving on Sunday on the Ribble with a double hander. The camera cost next to nowt but the picture quality is half decent.

Self analysis is in my opinion the best teaching and learning tool in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-wrPY0Ges
                      Last edited by laffingravy; 04-12-2013, 09:09.
                      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

|\ Good stuff, you make that look so easy, thanks for the link and sharing the vid.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X