A183

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A183

A favourite of mine, tied up to represent a Pennick (local name for a Coalfish Fry) which constitutes a large part of the ST diet up in the northern waters around the coast. A very simple pattern, White or Creamy wool body over silver or gold tinsel, there is a subtle show through when wet, Magpie wing, Black Henny Cock hackle, tied up short on a strong long hook, use in the lower stretches of river just above the tide, named after the road near to the river where it was christened and frequently used to good success, had a good number of fish on it.

Very nice and very neatly tied. Thanks for contributing it and thanks for the history behind it - I have never come across it before. |\

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
      Very nice and very neatly tied. Thanks for contributing it and thanks for the history behind it - I have never come across it before. |\

TT.
      Your welcome, looks a different baby when wet, slims down a treat so you get the subtle shine from the underbody coming through, and a dark greeny black back over, looks very fishy, like I say its one that we came up with and made to fish certain areas after doing a lot of research.

Glad you like it.
      Mike

Comment

In my opinion material distribution is what makes a modest fly pattern into a bloody killer. Your materials are distributed in a most radge fashion. I love that word. It was once given to me on a dark dark night by a Cumbrian and I now use it whenever I can. Anyways back on topic, your material distribution is just about as good as it gets. Not at all radge (look I just used it again)~:.
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
          In my opinion material distribution is what makes a modest fly pattern into a bloody killer. Your materials are distributed in a most radge fashion. I love that word. It was once given to me on a dark dark night by a Cumbrian and I now use it whenever I can. Anyways back on topic, your material distribution is just about as good as it gets. Not at all radge (look I just used it again)~:.
          Radge is a word I use quite frequently from a total vocabulary of about 15 words 1/2 of which are swear words

Mike

Comment

Do you your 183 and shrimpy pattern will work on the lower stretches of the Wear. I am thinking of the Chester le st area.

Halcyon

Comment

The Shrimpy pattern was thouroughly tested in an Estruary where it caught fish, the A183 just in Lower reaches of Rivers.
              Both the flies have been fished and caught Sea Trout on the Wear, C-L-S waters downstream of the Buckles between the A1 road bridge and Lambton Bridge.

Battled with a very large fresh fish for what must have been a good 1/2 hour on the A183 fly, only to loose it, the lad that I was with had caught some good fish in his time and estimated it bigger than any he had caught at 17 - 20lb

Hope this helps |\

Mike

Comment

That's exactly where I fish. I think I will tie a couple of these 183's and give them a go. I like to fish small tubes, I think I could still get the same effect. Instead of magpie maybe some black squirrel instead?

Halcyon

Comment

Originally posted by halcyon View Post
                  That's exactly where I fish. I think I will tie a couple of these 183's and give them a go. I like to fish small tubes, I think I could still get the same effect. Instead of magpie maybe some black squirrel instead?

Halcyon
                  Don't see why Black Squirrel shouldn't be used instead of Magpie, but add a touch of peacock herl to it as its the greeny black that seems to work.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X