Shrimpy Thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimpy Thing

After quite a lot of trialling and invaluble input from a very knowledgable lad into the feeding and social habits of Sea Trout, we came up with this Shrimpy pattern, it incorporates within the dressing some simple but ingenious components that are prime triggers to a feeding fish, designed for the Lower stretches of river, both tidal and pools in the bottom freshwater sections. Fished in an erratic tug fashion, this has accounted for a lot of fish both day and night.

Interesting pattern and thinking behind it, very much like that of the Baltic anglers, which does make sense. You may like to check out the magnus fly, which is a very popular Baltic sea trout fly: http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/magnus/

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
      Interesting pattern and thinking behind it, very much like that of the Baltic anglers, which does make sense. You may like to check out the magnus fly, which is a very popular Baltic sea trout fly: http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/magnus/
      Thanks, interesting link, got a few of these Magnus patterns in my saltwater box, Never had a lot of success with em though, will have to persevere LOL

Mike

Comment

A most interesting pattern you post Mr. Jewel. The 'secret ingredient' part sounds all rather enigmatic. The pattern for me at least has a kind of spooky magnetism as it keeps drawing my eye to it. Lets see lots more of your stuff
        Last edited by laffingravy; 28-11-2013, 10:52.
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
          A most interesting pattern you post Mr. Jewel. The 'secret ingredient' part sounds all rather enigmatic. The pattern for me at least has a kind of spooky magnetism as it keeps drawing my eye to it. Lets see lots more of your stuff
          A very plain and drab looking fly I must admit, but its meant to be, items that appear on on the Sea Trout's menu that knock around in the mud flatty and sandy estruaries up here don't go around with eat me signs on, its meant to blend in to the natural surrounding, its the components and the fashion in which it is fished that makes this fly.

Mike.

Comment

Without wanting to sound stupid would you fish this fly in the estuary around an area known to hold a good amount of prawns?

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
              Without wanting to sound stupid would you fish this fly in the estuary around an area known to hold a good amount of prawns?
              Yes Minty your bob on there, it was designed to be fished where ST are to be found feeding on Shrimp, bearing in mind that a ST is a predatory fish and not a selective feeder (unlike the switched on predictive feeding of a Brownie in the river) in saltwater therefore it will target most things manageable, sand eel, fry, crabs, small flatties etc etc, at anytime, all estuaries have something in there that will provide a meal at some place and stage of the tide, find the larder and the fish will be there filling up on protein's prior to running the river.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the reply. When I was fishing for prawns back in August a sewin of about 8 to 10 pound jumped out of the water not ten feet in front of me. It was great! ! I suppose that I if next spring when the prawns move back to the mark from the deeper water it would be a good place to try?

Comment

Most definiteley Minty, Its taken me a lot of time and regular visits to certain estuary marks on a number of rivers to figure out where and when food gathers, if you find a place then stick with it, the fish will show up.

Mike

Comment

Would imagine that the bass will take an interest in anything prawny looking too. What size hook would you tie that fly on and would it benefit from any weight as a under body?

Comment

These flies are tied up on a longshank hook, they are an old hook pattern of Partridge, cant just remember the code but don't think they are available now, so any longshank (a good strong one) in sizes from 4 - 8 will suffice. The pattern does incorporate a weighted underbody.

Mike

Comment

Many thanks for the advice will have a go at tying some up ready for next season

Mintylad

Comment

This fly is tied on a longshank size 6, a Partridge hook they no longer produce, any strong hook will suffice, it can be tied onto larger or smaller to suit, it has actually got a weighted factor incorporated, not what you would think though, like I stated in my earlier post this pattern was developed over a period of time with precious input from a person that has a vast knowledge of fish and their prey.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X