8 foot rod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 foot rod

Anyone know of a very short rod 8 foot or 8ft6 that is available in a 7 or 8 weight? Fishing a very overgrown river and need to get under trees etc and a 9 foot rod is too long! Still want to be able to cast heavy flies though so I want one with a bit of beef!

Cheers

T7, they produce 8 footers in higher line weights in the states for sea fishing and places like cabelas etc may be able to help.
    I fish a lot of overgrown smaller rivers in south and west wales and i 'cope' with a 9ft #6, i can cast waddies up to 2" and big surface lures on this when conditions dictate their use in some very tight spots! I modify my own fly lines, ie make my own sink tips and heads that that will turn over these flies easily at short range (up to 18yds max), at longer range they just fold and wont turn over but thats not what i made them for!
    Places on rivers like the pines and the gratings on the ogmore require a modified side cast to get the back stroke away from the trees on my side and then a change in direction on the forward stroke to send it accross the river, its a bit like a latteral steeple cast.
    if u need any more info then please ask.
    jon

Comment

Thanks JJ, I have a couple of 9 foot rods, one a 6 weight and one an 8 weight. Maybe I could use a heavy line on the 6 weight to load it at short range? Sounds a bit like your modified set up.

Another problem the river runs left to right where I fish so it's even harder for a right hander with all the undergrowth off the wrong shoulder. Any tips for this? I had thought of standing in the middle of the runs at the top of the pool and casting a long (relatively) line almost straight down the pool. Not ideal for some pools though. It's an interesting river, incidentally a very famous beat - very deep pools separated by very shallow streamy bits. Tough fishing but would love to crack it

Comment

Learn to cast accross your body, stand looking at the far bank, cast to the left at waist hi(this will be ur back cast!), legnthen line whilst keeping it low at waist hi then on the forward stroke stop ur arm directly in front of u and roll ur wrist clockwise! U may also have to impart some hauling, but when u crack this cast, nothing is impossible!
        Ps i cut down 7# lines to form a head then weld them to running line, vry similar to 40+ lines but you get the correct head lth for your needs and outfit.
        jon

Comment

I'll give it a go! Thanks JJ

Comment

Just bought myself one of these for small river fishing:

http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-slx.html

Not tried it yet but has a short head that is designed for loading quickly at short range so I'm hoping it'll do the trick!

I've tried other Barrio lines and they really are excellent. |\

Comment

Working...
            X