Repalas and spinners for the Tywi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repalas and spinners for the Tywi

Evening all, I'm new here so apologies if this is a duplicate thread; I did a quick search and couldn't see an existing one.

Given that it's raining by yer in Brynamman and it's forecast to rain more heavily overnight I thought I'd take the spinning rod out tomorrow on Llangadog's water and I was hoping to get some advice about the best spinners and Repalas to use.

I spoke to Eric Jones (the club Treasurer) last week who couldn't remember the name of the Repala he's found to be most successful, just that it was a jointed one and it wasn't blue.

I've taken a good few brownies on Mepps size 2 and 3, on both silver and gold and I know Ben Willz took a nice sewin on a size 4 Mepps Longue copper, any other thought would be appreciated.

I am not a great spinner, but mepps work, and the in rapala at the moment seems to be the fire tiger.
    (if anybody knows different please add!)
    Tight Lines
    Aled

Comment

Neither am I, Aled, but thanks for that and I'll give the fire tiger a go maybe this evening or tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Dai,

Take a small red Flying C with you but snip 2 of the hooks off so it is only trailing a single hook. The guys who have now reverted to this on the Wye as a conservation measure find it absolutely fine and don't miss any takes but it does make unhooking far easier and less bleeders. Cast slightly up stream and vary the pace of your retrieve and flick the tip of the rod occasionally. The increase in pace often instigates the take.

The fish were back on the take last night. I'll be down there somewhere so hopefully you can net me another one!!!

Comment

fire tiger for coloured water, them rainbow trout for when its fining off then brown trout for when you could be fishing the fly. Lost a double figure salmon about four hours ago on a brown trout. Try swapping the trebles for circle hooks much better hold. Just wish I had remembered to take my own advise today. To say that I am gutted would be an understatement:?:?:? Fish rolled on the top, flicked its tail then head rapala shot out and nearly hit me in the face. But on a brighter note about five minutes earlier a really fit bird ran past doing that exercise thing. She was LUSH!!!
          Had a good few fish last week on a black and gold salar spinner.

Comment

I will always use the blue and silver rappala for seatrout every time without fail then the fire tiger for salmon|\
            theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Rapala F11 for me
              in Orange, black n gold and black n silver.
              all hooks de-barbed to aid release if you desire, it also makes it easier to remove from your hand if your unlucky enough to be nailed by one which I have::

Comment

And me but no pain no gain:>
                theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps, the result was 1x 3.5lb sewn, caught on a black-and-silver J11 Rapala. I also had a good follow on Firetiger but switched to the black-and-silver when the fish didn't take.

Bigdai, I'm going to try your flying C idea after the next lot of rain.

Comment

Where did you catch it Dai?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdai View Post
                      Where did you catch it Dai?
                      The bottom end of the beat in the pool at the end of the long run by the electric fence. I got the follow at the bottom end of Crewil. Beautiful fish, almost completely silver.

Comment

Crewil pool is an incredible pool for watching follows! They just appear from the far depths then if you're unfortunate, see the angler at the last minute and shoot straight back. Sooo frustrating! Well done Dai, 3.5lbs is a lovely size fish.

Comment

Cheers BD. As per our conversation at Crewil a couple of weeks ago about protecting the genetic health of the fish in the river and numbers of eggs, mine was a cock fish of the right size and not a hen, so I felt justified about taking it home with me. Looking forward to eating it with a bottle of decent white!

Comment

Nothing wrong with that Dai! Taking the odd cock fish under 4-5 lbs is perfectly sustainable harvest. I was at 'that spot' again last night and there were a few fish knocking the fly. They were actually a further 5-10 yards down from where I previously said. Only shoalies though. Didn't see one fish jump in the 2 hours after dark that I was there.

Comment

Working...
                            X