Needle flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle flies

Have just tied up a few needle flies to use on the Towy tonight at Llangadog.

[IMG][/IMG]

I haven't used needle flies before but thought I would try them out as a compromise between snakes and heavier tubes.
    • Tube: 1.5mm dia 1.5" needle tube from Grays of Kilsyth
    • Wing: arctic marble fox tail
    • Head: UTC 70 denier finished with Diamond fine UV resin from Deer Creek
    • Flash 1: Krinkle mirror flash in peacock black
    • Flash 2: Krystal flash in herring black
    • Flash 3: Krystal flash in black
    • Flash 4: Future Fly star flash in silver (mix of krinkle, holo and flat mylar) from Foxy Tails

Yes, that's quite a lot of flash! I've tied a thicker profile than the ones on the Grays website, as I seem to prefer them to the really sinewy flies.

I'm also trying out my new, and allegedly waterproof to 3m, camera. Time will tell on that one...

Apologies for the massive photo. I have only just created a photobucket account and haven't worked out how to import smaller photos.

SS

hi ss, great flies. Im hoping to fish llangadog tonight, do you know if the river is clear enough for night fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by benwillz View Post
      hi ss, great flies. Im hoping to fish llangadog tonight, do you know if the river is clear enough for night fishing?
      Hi benwillz,

I'm not local, but I'm hoping it's going to be clear enough for fly tonight. The river has dropped a lot since earlier in the week and is now running at around 1.10m on the Manorafon gauge. It might be worth a post on the Tywi thread to find out for sure. I think BigDai is local to Llangadog so he will be able to advise on river clarity. I'll be taking my spinning tackle as a back-up.

Might see you there.

SS

Comment

I've just spoke to a friend who fished the river at llangadog for an hour on wednesday and he said the river was running clear but spoke to another friend who was out thursday on cross hands water and he said the river was a bit coloured. Im still gona give it a go tonight tonight, im not going to catch fish sitting at home. good luck anyway ss

Comment

Nice ties stoat should hit a few with them no doubt|\
          theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Working...
          X