Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Sea Trout Fishing - Help Appreciated

Hi.
    I normally fly-fish for trout in mountain lochs. I have access to a stretch of the Rheidol this weekend, which I believe is a Sea Trout/Salmon river. I have never fished for either species and would therefore welcome any tips/advice. I will probably take a spinning rod and worms as I will probably be fishing in the daytime rather than at night. Does anyone on here fish the Rheidol? And if so, how is it fishing at the moment?
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Ian

Not sure about the river in question but if your coming down the weekend anyway might be worth a visit to the fishing tackle shop above the caffe by the train station he should be able to point you in the right direction|\ but the only thing I would say is the water down this end is running pretty clear so I would walk the river in the day find a good pool and wait until dark should be good night fishing the weekend after the rain we had beginning of the week and pop to the tackle shop and pick up a few flies etc....
    Last edited by johnevs; 08-08-2013, 21:23.
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Agree with Johnevs, but would also add to be aware of any river level fluctuations and they often release water from the dam, which can catch you off-guard.

I now very little about the Rheidol, only having fished it twice, but hear that the Ystwyth is having a decent run, which is very close by.

Tight lines and let us know how you get on.

TT.

Comment

Spent a week up there last summer in the caravan the club has up there when the Olympics was on. They were generating electric flat out so cold water from the reservoir was in the river. River went cold and the fish went down fish the lakes instead when the weather permitted nice little set-up there with the caravans and the lakes very reasonable prices and lovely part of the world. One word of advice though if you decide to do the walk at devils bridge take an oxygen mask!!!! tight lines.

Comment

Thanks all for advice/comments. I did catch 2 little brownies on the fly but no sea trout! One of around a pound was hooked on the spinner but I lost it! Never mind!!

Comment

Working...
          X