Fly line sanity check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly line sanity check

I realise it's easy to become a tackle tart and go over the top with having too many fly lines, but I just wanted to check that my current lines are allowing me to cover all the bases for sea trout. When I do get chance to fish for sea trout I fish the Teifi and Towy with a 10' 7# and the following lines:
    • Airflo 40+ Extreme fast intermediate
    • Lee Wulff triangle taper floating
    • Guideline 4-cast S3 sink tip

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

SS
    Last edited by silverstoat; 04-08-2013, 14:24.

Originally posted by silverstoat View Post
    I realise it's easy to become a tackle tart and go over the top with having too many fly lines, but I just wanted to check that my current lines are allowing me to cover all the bases for sea trout. I normally fish the Teifi and Towy with a 10' 7# and the following lines:
    • Airflo 40+ Extreme fast intermediate
    • Lee Wulff triangle taper floating
    • Guideline 4-cast S3 sink tip

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

SS
    Ho!hum!

I think you've arrived (I mean "become a takle tart":# ).
    What happened to the days of going down to the river armed with the one rod does all(well just about) coupled to a line that was supposed to fish at all depths, and carrying a handfull of flies in a backy tin and one or possibly two magic flies ~# that were secreted about ones body that no one else should see. Oh happy days, and I never managed to get out of that mind set that you had to have All types of line /rods/flies with you on the river bank. Well almost, I do take two rod swith me when Salmon fishing sometimes.
    There were, and still are times when I can't quite manage with what I've got (easily), so I have to get the grey matter working out how to induce this leviathan,~# probably no more than a couple of pounds really :> out of it's lair using the tackle I have to hand.
    I hate carrying a load of tackle at night, so try and keep it simple, one rod, one line, some three fly casts ready made and some flies in a box, oh, not forgeting the net (landing)and one led lenser head light(bloody tackle tart).
    So if we meet on the river, don't ask me for anything, I've barely got enough for myself thanks.
    :> :> :> :> :>.
    Tight lines(if you can work out which rod line combo to use on that given night when all hell breaks loose and the big ones are chomping at at MY flies for the 10mins they are active, when your trying to get organised on the bank behind me ~#)
    Some wishfull thinking there methinks.

Back to your question "Are you missing anything" well yes.

THE FISHING.
    Cap
    Last edited by steelheadnut; 04-08-2013, 08:36.

Comment

That just about sums it up for me too.
      Nice one Cap!!

Comment

Amusing response Cap, and I understand the sentiment.

I'm still new to fishing for sea trout so apologies if it seemed like a noddy question, or if I've created the (mis-)impression of arriving on the bank with a barrow-load of tackle. I do travel light when night fishing, and only ever take the one rod. I don't mind taking five mins to change a line as it forces me to re-think my approach to a pool and to change flies as I move into the different depths and speeds of water.

I really just wanted to know whether the lines I've got (bought for fishing my local waters, small rivers and lakes) are suitable for rivers like the Teifi and Towy. I'm happy with the Airflo 40+, but don't feel confident that the other two are punchy enough to get the distance or are presenting the flies well enough. Hopefully I'll get to the position where I have enough experience with fishing for sea trout that I can get away with using a multi-purpose line and control the depth with weight of flies, casting angle and retrieve speeds but I feel like I've a way to go yet.

N.B. you didn't say which line you normally use (floating/intermediate/ST?).

SS
        Last edited by silverstoat; 04-08-2013, 14:46.

Comment

Glad you liked my response SS :>.
          Believe it or not my fav line for the night time excursions is my trusty old wet cell 2, but given the water of the last few weeks(or should I say, lack of) there is another line I like and that is one of the old kingfisher silk lines, I don't care to guess how old the damn thing is but greased up it's a floater wipe the first few feet with some earth from the surrounding banks and it's a sink tip, from intermediate to whatever depth you care to try for(within reason). Another plus for this line is how thin it is compared to the modern lines of the same weight, and in the right hands less disturbance of the water.
          Ideally the less false casting the better. Perfect scenario, from completion of one cast to recasting in one stroke is the name of the game. Can't do it every cast but to keep the false casting to a minimum is essential, and these two lines are perfect for my type of fishing.
          The only thing with the silk lines is you have to dry & dress them after every outing, well nearly.

I am in the process of acquiring a cane rod with spliced joints and coupling this with a cadno silk line.
          These lines are supposed to be pretty good and the guy makes them in scandi profile as well as d/t's which is great.
          Next time your up this way(on the Teify anyway)drop me a p.m. if you want a run through any of the beats from Maesycruguau up.

Cap
          Last edited by steelheadnut; 04-08-2013, 15:52.

Comment

3 good lines for the Towy SS they will serve you well |\ I am not a tackle tart but have six lines and use them all.

Dai.

Comment

Love the reply Cap :>

I fall into Cullster's category and do carry a lot of lines, depending on the conditions, of course.

What you have sounds fine SS. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you found that your S3 tip and then the fast intermediate were fishing around the same level. The tip of the S3 will get pulled up with the floating running line, whereas the fast intermediate would probably keep down and keep sinking. Depends on your casting angle and whether you mend etc. of course.

If you want to add some variation, then try these:

http://www.michaelevans.co.uk/shop_s...&productID=253

Better than buying a new line anyway.

TT.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, and for the link on polyleaders TT.

I bought a 5' extra super fast poly leader yesterday so will experiment with using that to get more depth. A floating Sewin Caster might have inadvertently slipped into my basket at the same time though... :>

SS

Comment

How times have changed

First thing to check is what is the average depth and width of the river & pools on the stretch of river YOU are going to fish. On my local river the depth is between 2-5ft and 25 yards wide. I only carry 2 lines. No 7 double taper floater and a No 7 sink tip, i also have a medium sinker in boot which i take when going to rivers that i dont know in case the pools are a bit quicker or deeper . It sounds to me that you are not so much a tackle tart but you lack the confidence in how you are going about catching night time seatrout.. Its not rocket science!! If they are fresh fish in the river and its a suitible night mild,cloudy,and a settled river thats not to high in temp ,they will have!! it at some time during the night. A No 6-8 on the dropper ,, a No 4-6 on the tail and a few wee doubles for the dusk and dawn and you are sorted.. floating,sink tip, sinking. They all have there times and place Jambo,s and snakes,, Chop and change and it wont take you long to find out what depth they like the fly to swim and at what times ON the rivers and pools that you!!!! fish. Have TOTAL!! confidence in your flies,, and a they shall not pass attitude::/ Fish on threw the darkness and the pulls will come

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewan View Post
                    First thing to check is what is the average depth and width of the river & pools on the stretch of river YOU are going to fish. On my local river the depth is between 2-5ft and 25 yards wide. I only carry 2 lines. No 7 double taper floater and a No 7 sink tip, i also have a medium sinker in boot which i take when going to rivers that i dont know in case the pools are a bit quicker or deeper . It sounds to me that you are not so much a tackle tart but you lack the confidence in how you are going about catching night time seatrout.. Its not rocket science!! If they are fresh fish in the river and its a suitible night mild,cloudy,and a settled river thats not to high in temp ,they will have!! it at some time during the night. A No 6-8 on the dropper ,, a No 4-6 on the tail and a few wee doubles for the dusk and dawn and you are sorted.. floating,sink tip, sinking. They all have there times and place Jambo,s and snakes,, Chop and change and it wont take you long to find out what depth they like the fly to swim and at what times ON the rivers and pools that you!!!! fish. Have TOTAL!! confidence in your flies,, and a they shall not pass attitude::/ Fish on threw the darkness and the pulls will come
                    Thanks for your advice Rosewan. It's fair to say that I'm definitely not fishing with confidence for night-time sea trout. I'm still learning, and making the transition from regular trout fishing. My floating and sink tip lines are great for my local trout waters (delicate presentation etc), but when trying unfamiliar and larger sea trout rivers at night I'm finding that I'm not easily getting distance (too much false casting), and feel like I'm only searching the upper levels of the water. The other issue is that I don't have any local sea trout rivers (travelling 100+ miles to get to the Towy or Teifi) so it's proving hard to build up the experience and get lucky with suitable conditions on the Friday or Saturday night when I am able to fish. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with the flies I've tied up so far and am confident they will work when I get the technique right. I'm also massively enjoying the new challenge of learning to fish for sea trout and the experience of fishing through the night. When it does click and I start catching sea trout with confidence it's going to be awesome.

SS

Comment

Originally posted by silverstoat View Post
                      Thanks for the responses, and for the link on polyleaders TT.

I bought a 5' extra super fast poly leader yesterday so will experiment with using that to get more depth. A floating Sewin Caster might have inadvertently slipped into my basket at the same time though... :>

SS
                      No worries SS. I now use the sewincasters as my go-to lines, especially since the airflo 40+ were given an upgrade (or downgrade in my opinion). Great lines and you won't regret the purchase.

As for the poly leader; that's a really fast one you've bought, try the clear intermediate one too, which would be good given what you've currently got. Remember to stick to the shorter ones too, as the long ones are better suited to double handers.

Steff

Comment

Originally posted by steelheadnut View Post
                        Glad you liked my response SS :>.
                        Believe it or not my fav line for the night time excursions is my trusty old wet cell 2, but given the water of the last few weeks(or should I say, lack of) there is another line I like and that is one of the old kingfisher silk lines, I don't care to guess how old the damn thing is but greased up it's a floater wipe the first few feet with some earth from the surrounding banks and it's a sink tip, from intermediate to whatever depth you care to try for(within reason). Another plus for this line is how thin it is compared to the modern lines of the same weight, and in the right hands less disturbance of the water.
                        Ideally the less false casting the better. Perfect scenario, from completion of one cast to recasting in one stroke is the name of the game. Can't do it every cast but to keep the false casting to a minimum is essential, and these two lines are perfect for my type of fishing.
                        The only thing with the silk lines is you have to dry & dress them after every outing, well nearly.

I am in the process of acquiring a cane rod with spliced joints and coupling this with a cadno silk line.
                        These lines are supposed to be pretty good and the guy makes them in scandi profile as well as d/t's which is great.
                        Next time your up this way(on the Teify anyway)drop me a p.m. if you want a run through any of the beats from Maesycruguau up.

Cap
                        Interested to hear about the cadno silk line.
                        I've a couple of old sticky kingfisher silks and need to replace them. Grateful for any details

Comment

Originally posted by Pealer View Post
                          Interested to hear about the cadno silk line.
                          I've a couple of old sticky kingfisher silks and need to replace them. Grateful for any details
                          Instead of replacing them ask if they can be refurbished.
                          I'm sure this is done at Cadno.
                          www.cadnosilklines.com
                          Cap
                          Last edited by steelheadnut; 05-10-2013, 05:50. Reason: additional info

Comment

Refurbished silk lines

Thanks , Just been on their site, your advice has been much appreciated.

Comment

I didn't want to start a new thread and this seems like a good place to ask for advice on the best sink tip line for the Tywi.

I've got an Airflo Forty Plus WF8I with a sink rate of 1.5 inch/sec and a Cortland floater. I was looking at the Cortland 444 SL Ghost Tip, the Scientific Anglers Scientific Anglers Supra Sinktip and the Sewin Caster. Anybody have any experience of these and any advice on sink rates? I fish the Llangadog beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X