sneaky snakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sneaky snakes

hello, snake flies are a great at fooling sewin, however they can be a little bit tricky to cast and can tangle if your castings not up to scratch. Here is a little trick i use when tying snake flies.
    If you've got some old fly lines lying about that are cracked or damaged (we all do) then you can put them to use in some snake flies. By adding a short length of sinking line in a snake you can change the depth the fly fishes, it stiffens the fly up and helps to avoid tangles and as a result it is easier to cast but keeps its movement.
    I use snakes with sinking, floating and intermediate lines incorporated into the braid. To keep track of what line is in what snake I use a colour code, I colour the braided loop of the snake with marker pens. black for sinking snakes, red for floating and clear for intermediate just like the fly lines.
    I hope this helps anyone and don't be put off by the short loops, believe me just be generous with the glue and do a little strength test on the vice.
    Sorry for the quality of the photos.

You need some braided mono, a darning needle, super glue, needle eye hooks, scissors, marker pen and some old fly line.

first create a short loop and thread the end just 12 mm in the braid

cut a short 35 mm length of fly line and slide the line inside the braid, this will take time and the ends will fray a little

slide the line all the way up and cut the frayed end

slide on a treble hook, tube hooks are great for this and then thread the braid through the darning needle

double the braid back to create a new loop keeping the hook inside the loop, push the needle just 12 mm through the braid up to the fly line and cut and glue both ends.

To identify the snake you need to colour the loop accordingly.

here are some I made earlier, the black loop is a sinking snake and the red loop is a floating snake.

Thanks for reading
    Attached Files
    Last edited by benwillz; 21-06-2013, 01:18.

Great stuff benwillz , I like that a lot |\

Dai.

Comment

A few years ago I posted some snakes made entirely from old fly line, the advantage being you can adjust the sink rate. I like this idea too - similar to the use of lead core threaded down into the braid |\

Comment

Thanks guys, it really is a usefull pattern to have in your box. I've taken a number of sewin on the sinking and intermediate snakes but none on the floating yet. These snakes are ideal for searching deep tidal pools and esturies.
        tight lines

Comment

Nice one benwillz and thanks for sharing. |\

TT.

Comment

I like the idea for this, i've had the snake flies skating across the surface in the passed & it puts you off using them, i'll be giving this ago thats for sure.
            Thanks for sharing|\

Comment

Working...
            X