where to put the heaviest fly??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to put the heaviest fly??

Some people tell me I should put the heaviest fly on the point. I was re reading steffan's article on catching big fish and he said that he would fish the lightest fly on the point and the heavier one on the dropper. I was wondering if there is a scientific/ technical reason for this. Do you use both for varying your presentation or is it just preferance. {;

I tried the heaviest on the dropper the other night and had 3 takes in 3 casts. lost them all mind. ::

Diolch yn fawr

Geraint

I have acquired some interesting czech nymphs, which are tied on really weird hooks. The eye sticks out of a huge black bead at right angles downwards, so in fact when you tie it on it fishes point up.

I think the idea is that you tie it on the dropper, it bounces along the bottom and further flies drift downstream from it, all right on the bottom.

To me this is very similar to worming, and I am going to have a go swinging them across a pool as if they were worms. Think it will need some current and that I will lose a lot of flies :}

Just to add some thoughts to heaviest fly on dropper! I guess it depends on how you want your flies to fish - heaviest on point gets them fishing across the layers, on the dropper puts them all in the same layer, but deeper.

Comment

Lighter fly on the point will have more movement than the heavy fly on the point. The lighter fly on the point will have a few ft of leader rather than 6 inches of relative freedom.

Casting wise, the heavy fly on the point makes much more sense unless its spey casting when it becomes less important.

FWIW i only fish heavy on the point, unless im czech nymphing or upstream nymph. But, there again im a pretty usless sewin fisherman.
      Last edited by rio; 01-07-2008, 19:22.

Comment

Hi Geraint,

sorry for the late reply! To be honest it's something that can be changed from pool to pool etc.

As a rule if I'm fishing with copper/brass/tungsten tubes on a sinking line then yes I would tend to put it on the dropper, with a lighter and probably longer fly on the point. A bit like fishing a devon with a weight up the line, where the weight gets it down there with the point taking on the movement etc. however, in this instance both offerings will produce.

With floating lines I would tend to put the copper/brass tube etc. on the point, which would allow the cast to be drawn into pots etc with the full length of the nylon.

If we are talking of relatively heavy flies, such as alu tubes etc. then the heaviest fly would be on the point. i.e. when fishing 2 alu tubes, then the longest would be on the point, or when fishing one alu tube and a single hook then the tube would be on the point.

No hard rule that I adhere to really, but certainly little systems that tend to work for me.

TT.

p.s. for czech nymphing; I have experimented with heavy on middle, even heavy on top, but have always gone back to heavy on point. I found that some lag in drift was creeping in when fished any other way, which was cutting down bite detection. But again, that's just my preference.

Comment

Diolch yn fawr for all the advise. I try using the heaviest one on the sinking lines like you suggest

diolch

Grunt

Comment

Working...
          X