Braided Leaders or Not for the Teifi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided Leaders or Not for the Teifi

I attended the Llandysul Angling Association's Welcome Day last Saturday. Wow! what a day - full of expert advice, fantastic, friendly hospitality and highly recommended for next year's event. Huge thanks to all!

Very thought provoking hints and tips were freely given but one that has caused me a bit of a dilemma concerns the use of braided leaders. Some conflicting advice regarding recommendations for their use, for and against left me a bit confused.

What are your recommendations for the construction of leaders for sewin and/or salmon? What are your thoughts regarding the use of braided leaders? I've used them very succesfully for still water trouting over the years but for river fishing (Teifi in particular) I'd welcome your advice.

Many thanks.

Roger

Personally I don't bother for night fishing - good old fashioned leader of 8-15lb seems to be fine. Daytime is another story but I don't fish for them in the day

Comment

As Simon has said I would go with mono also Roger |\

Tight lines

Dai.

Comment

Same as
        never seen the need to deviate away from Mono.
        SB

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone.

So, let me pick your brains a little more - if I go with mono, do I go straight through from the fly line with a single length, say nail knotted onto the fly line, or is there a need for tapering through various breaking strains?

Thanks

Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,

nothing wrong with a short braided loop at the end of the fly line - the 6 inch ones that enable you to connect the leader material etc. just make sure that it's connected well, as they often slip off. Alternatively, do a needle not or even create a welded loop with some shrink tubing.

Beyond that, it's a case of standard mono straight through in one length and breaking strain. No tapering etc. needed. Keep it simple. 12lbs maxima ultragreen or Terry Eustace Pro Gold will cover the bases when night fishing.

You can, of course, use some poly leaders if you want to create a sink tip. However, make sure you go for salmon strength ones and also the 5ft versions for a single handed rod. Having said that, I prefer the Michael Evans ones, as they are not tapered and run larger flies etc. over well.

TT.

Comment

I don't use them a lot, but I also use the Michael Evans ones.

Comment

Working...
              X