Daioni fly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daioni fly

Probably my favourite sea trout fly and one that has served me well since its creation some 15 years ago or so now.

A superb dropper pattern and one that should certainly be in your box for the forthcoming season:

Hook: longshank 10-6, ken sawada.
    Body: silver tinsel
    Rib: silver wire
    Body hackle: white cock hackle
    Wing: black squirrel
    Head hackle: dyed blue teal, guinea, or dyed blue grizzle

TT.

Why do you consider it a superb dropper pattern and not a point fly ?. Sorry if it is a daft question but I'll only learn by asking.

Comment

M4M; please, always ask, that's what the forum is all about.

I consider it to be a dropper pattern because of it's construction; a bushier fly would nearly always be placed on the dropper as it is also usually a lighter (in weight terms) than say a slim pattern. The slim pattern placed on the point would also sink quicker, allowing your cast to fish at different depths, but at an ever increasing angle, whereas placing it this on the point would either fish it 'washing line' style or at best on an even angle with the dropper.

Having this bushy fly on the dropper also allows you to skate or dibble it at the end of the cast, which can often get the result needed.

Having the lighter fly on the dropper also helps the cast turn over, as the heavier point fly will kick the leader over. This, in turn, will also give you less tangles.

TT.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation TT. By the end of May I will be ready for some night sessions !.

Comment

Originally posted by mepps4me View Post
          Thank you for the explanation TT. By the end of May I will be ready for some night sessions !.
          Why wait until then. With conditions improving, and a bit of searching, you could connect with some nice ones now.

Cap

Comment

I have tied a few of these Daioni flies in preparation for a week's holiday on the Teifi in mid-August. The profile doesn't look quite right (wing too high and not as streamlined as Steff's example), although I did improvise by replacing the squirrel with arctic fox and may have overdone it with the palmered hackle. I'm looking forward to trying it though, and was glad to read the advice on using it as a dropper (I probably would have used it on point if I hadn't read this thread).

Daioni.jpg

I'm looking for advice on other patterns to use on the Teifi (LlAA waters) on warm nights in August so does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

SS

Comment

Working...
            X