dropper fishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropper fishing

I must try and fish a dropper more this season,are there any recommendations for spacing of the dropper from the tail fly,what do you guys recommend thanks moonlighter

I generally use an 8 foot leader with the dropper slightly closer to the fly line than the tail fly, say 3 and a half foot from the fly line and 4 and a half feet from the tail fly. Sometimes I will use slightly longer leaders but not that often.

Comment

Much the same as T7 really. Keep it simple.

Usually fish the two flies 5ft apart, then the length from the dropper knot to the fly line will vary slightly according to whether I'm fishing a floating or sinking line; longer length if fishing a floating line, as you want to present the flies further away from the 'waking' line, but only by a foot or so more compared to a sinking line set-up.

That's a normal set-up that will hold you in good stead for most situations. It can vary if you start playing around with sacrificial flies, surface lure droppers etc. though.

Beoynd that, I would 100% recommend fishing a dropper as over 50% of my sea trout come to the dropper. It also allows you to explore different sizes, shapes etc. and show the fish two very different patterns.

Secret is to use heavy nylon, this will make dropper fishing a lot easier and you will get a lot less tangles.

TT.

Comment

I always use a dropper as well. Really versatile at night as you can quickly stick on a muddler or small surface lure on the top dropper and see if anything is doing on the top. If not you can easily change back to a sunk fly again. |\

Comment

Working...
        X