One for the new season...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the new season...

Back at the vice and starting to rebuild the collection for the season ahead. Had a little play over the weekend and came up with this permutation. Did some with a red hackle tail too, and am drawn between the two - probably slightly prefer the red tail...

Tying:
    Hook: Longshank size 6
    Thread: Fire Orange 6/0
    Tail: GP tippets or red hackle fibres.
    Body: Uni products holographic silver flat braid in small
    Head hackle 1: Royal blue schlappen
    Head hackle 2: Teal
    Wing: Peacock sword

TT.

|\ I'll send you my address! :@

P.S. That hook looks like a beast! What make is it? No straightening of that one...

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
      |\ I'll send you my address! :@

P.S. That hook looks like a beast! What make is it? No straightening of that one...
      :> Thanks T7.

Hooks; they're Gamakatsu T10-6H. Bought them a while ago. Really nice hook and came in black, blue, red and green. Not sure if they're still made now though...

TT.

Comment

That is an absolute doosey. Could you please post a picture of the one with the red tail? It would be interesting to compare them together. I really like this one but am just trying to work out which one I gonna put together for the Lune
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

hi tt when would you tend to use this day or nights?
          theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
            That is an absolute doosey. Could you please post a picture of the one with the red tail? It would be interesting to compare them together. I really like this one but am just trying to work out which one I gonna put together for the Lune
            Sure thing LG (p.s. sorry, not varnished yet!):

Having looked at it again, it may look nicer with a black thread head rather than the fire orange.

Have a play and post some results. |\

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by johnevs View Post
              hi tt when would you tend to use this day or nights?
              Hi John,

these would be fished at night for sure, but more due to their size than anything else. I would gladly fish short shank or small double versions in the day.

TT.

Comment

How about black head with the red tail and fire orange with the GP tippets? Either way it is probably only minor tinkering since I doubt that your own excellent creations can be bettered. They are both extremely fine patterns and I will be adding some to my own arsenal real soon. Thank you for posting the second photograph |\
                www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

No problem at all LG, my pleasure. Will try and post a few more as my more regular patterns come off the vice for the season ahead.

Always fun to play with new patterns.

Happy tying,

TT.

Comment

Red tail is a definite winner. I like the red head as well. |\|\

How is the body made? Do you just wrap the braid round? Any rib needed?

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
                      Red tail is a definite winner. I like the red head as well. |\|\

How is the body made? Do you just wrap the braid round? Any rib needed?
                      Thanks T7.

This is me being lazy and basically finding shortcuts of tying flies 'en masse' and cutting stages out that I can get away with cutting out. To begin with a tinsel body doesn't always sit evenly if you haven't formed a perfectly balanced and even base for it and secondly you need to rib it to protect it from the fish's teeth. The braid, however, sits well no matter how messy the base and as it is multi-strand does not need ribbing as it will not unravel if a fish cuts one strand. |\

You just wrap it around as you would tinsel etc.

The uni flat braid is quite expensive, but this stuff works well too and comes in more colours:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3006254709...84.m1423.l2649

The braid also has a bit more life to it than standard tinsel.

TT.

Comment

Neat idea TT, just bought some of that stuff in gold and silver. Will definitely save time tying up bodies.... |\

Comment

Nice Steff |\ just been tying up some esb flies and put the braid through as a rib and it looks great , and with the rest of the colours and bling if they cant see this fly then they must be blind lol

Dai.

Comment

Working...
                          X