Slow moving pools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow moving pools

Found a big deep pool on a new beat that I'm fishing this year and it looks like it is going to hold a lot of fish but the only problem is there is little to no flow in the pool. Anyone been successful in pools like that and what tactics would you use?

I'm thinking treat it like a reservoir and use different sink rate lines and count down to various depths and try different retrieves etc??

Hi T7 i think you are on the right track.
    I've got a pool like that on my beat, wet cell or DI3 and a plastic or ali tube slowly retrived has worked in the past.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
      Found a big deep pool on a new beat that I'm fishing this year and it looks like it is going to hold a lot of fish but the only problem is there is little to no flow in the pool. Anyone been successful in pools like that and what tactics would you use?

I'm thinking treat it like a reservoir and use different sink rate lines and count down to various depths and try different retrieves etc??

Hey T7,

yes, sure, can be very effective and certainly worth fishing - most people walk passed such pools whereas I would probably walk in search of them. They can be a bit boring to fish at times, but can produce the results that is for sure.

I did write an article about this type of fishing a few years back in T&S, but can't find the article to copy/paste the text. Did find this one I wrote a while back though, which may be of interest:

"Another misconception is that by utilising sinking lines people instantly assume that you must fish deep. However, big sea-trout won’t always be lying on the base of the pool, which raises the need to search the depths – even reservoir tactics such as counting down come into play, and is a great way of searching the layers of the pools. As a rule, however, more often than not the big fish will be found in the lowest third of the water column – this can vary according to river level, structures etc.

Big sea-trout are more lethargic than their smaller counterparts, and do take longer to intercept a fly, hence the reason why the flies must be fished closer to their holding depth. In addition, larger flies are often required when fishing at depth and with sinking line techniques because the light levels and light penetration soon diminishes with depth, where the larger flies will carry more silhouette and prominence. Whereas the ‘big flies equals big fish’ theory does hold some truth when talking big fish tactics, it certainly isn’t the key or overriding factor, but when viewed in conjunction with some reasonable rationale the application is justified.

Searching holding water does require sinking lines, and sinking lines or varying degrees. For example, dependent on flows, you may require anything from a slow intermediate through to a medium or even fast sinking line. The advantage you have with the slower holding water is that your line has plenty of time to sink. As such, it can often be a good ploy to utilise an intermediate line and count to different intervals. This method covers all the layers, whereas a straight fast sinking line may miss the upper layers out. If, however, you have found the fish to be lying deep – deduced by the counting down technique – then you can change to the faster sinking line to get to these layers quickly. The fish may also be encountered on or near the surface, of course, and may be drawn up from a few feet to take a surface offering such as a surface lure – which is a great big fish method. As such, when covering holding water, don’t instinctively think that you have to scratch the riverbed for success; the secret is experimenting with the layers until you find them, and knowing when to change and revert to another layer.

Sinking lines aren’t always the answer however, and fly choice can play a pivotal role too. Copper, brass and tungsten tubes are usually the domain of the salmon anglers, but they’re extremely practical and applicable to certain sea-trout fishing techniques, yet, not being the nicest of flies to wield at night- especially as they’re often utilised as part of a team. The heavier pattern is often fished on the dropper, as a sacrificial pattern that does also take fish. Then, trailing some 3-5ft behind is the main offering, which can be anything from a lighter tube, secret-weapon or even a longshank single when faced with low summer flows and clear water. The heavier fly combined with a sinking line is guaranteed to get you searching and covering the layers with ease.

Invariably by fishing such tactics you are prone to fouling the bottom, but these snags are often the lies, which should give you confidence that you are getting into the right areas. Heavy nylon is essential when fishing over such snag-laden waters, minimising the chances of losing flies, which can be daunting and even prevent you from fishing over such water. Even if you don’t lose the flies your leader may incur some damage, which is also a reason to make sure that you remember to change the leader before every session, or if you think flaws have occurred. For this reason, and so that I can exert some control on a fish, I would never fish leader strengths below 12lbs – sea-trout are not, as a rule, leader shy at night, and dropping below such strengths can be foolish, especially with big fish on the cards.

Retrieving slowly often has its virtues, but is certainly not a rule I adhere to or one I would endorse as being critical for catching larger sea-trout. In fact, when you are at your required depth I would advise varying the retrieves between casts; try some really slow, with some fished back at speed in a ‘roly-poly’ manner – the secret here is to experiment, as each night can hold its own key.

The takes can vary considerably too. People usually expect an extremely savage take from a big sea-trout, and often this can be the case. However, more often than not they can give the slightest of takes, takes that many would not register, passing them by as a leaf or a rock – especially so in slower water and with slow retrieves, as the fish may just follow and mouth the fly or just intercept the fly without much line or fly movement to give the angler an indication. Be on your guard, and strike at any notion. It is also worth noting that the nights when you get very few takes are often the nights you intercept the larger fish, even in the latter months when the system is holding a good head of fish."

Comment

Thanks guys.

I agree it might be a bit boring to fish it, but not if you know there are fish there and/or you are getting takes. It looks a great pool for the surface lure as well so will be definitely trying that...

Comment

i will always use a intermediate line 2" a second and fished a pool with hardly no flow at all for most of my nights last season, all i did was a square cast and a slow figure of eight untill my fly started to hit stones back on the shallows then id re cast only then. i had a lot of my st at this time as it came to within a foot off the bank |\
          theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Working...
          X