Towy advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towy advice

I am off tomorrow for a few hours to throw a line for the first time. The plan is to use my 12'6 double hander but advice on flies would be good. I have many different patterns but some direction would be greatly appreciated. I also thought I might need a sinking leader.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks

David

hi david i dont fish the towy but fish a river further north might b a little early yet but like i said in my dovey section there should b a few small shoals in at the moment but few and far between, you need luck on your side and need to be in the right place right time. if you do go i would go just as the sun goes down with maybe small size 10 or 12 silver stoat singles or doubles you just never know, might be that unpatient early runner out there somewhere, sorry i couldnt advise you on sinking lines as i dont know your river, but early on in the season on my river i would use a 15ft sink 3ips tip as i find in the colder water they tend to stay down on the bottom untill it warms up a little then i would use a 15ft intermediate line.... good luck anyway hope this helps
    Last edited by johnevs; 06-04-2013, 21:50.
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

A bit early, but there will be the odd fish around - certainly a case of quality over quantity at this time of the year.

JE's advice is spot on and I would probably add:

Fish the conditions and the water temperature more than the time of year. You can have mild conditions and a warm river that calls for totally different tactics to cold weather and a cold river. Be aware of this, and don't fall into the trap of having to fish spring tactics.

Having said that, as a rule the water should be colder and the fish less likely to move far to intercept and offering. As such, it's much the same as spring salmon fishing; deep and slow with flashy/bright/light patterns often provoking a reaction more than a small offering, which they may not see the urge to attack.

The fish are unlikely to have seen many flies etc. as yet. As a result, should you come across a taking fish he may well be a taker.

Don't fish light; chances are it will be 4 lbs + at this time of the year, and more likely than not 6 lbs+.

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

thanks for the replies. Going to go out tonight and see how I get on. Its so nice to be able to just pop down to the river when I can.

thanks again

David

Comment

Working...
        X