Tackle for the Teifi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackle for the Teifi?

I'm soon to be retiring to West Wales and am looking forward to taking up the opportunity to fish the Teifi. I'm completely new to river fishing, having spent most of my angling time still water trout fly fishing. My armourey currently consists of a 9.5 foot AFTM 7 to 8 weight fly rod. Holiday rock fishing has added a 7 foot spinning rod.

At this stage I'm not sufficiently confident to wade so am likely to be spending my first outings from the banks. How well is my current tackle going to cope in pursuing a spectrum of quarry (primarily trout and sewin) and with the different river conditions that might arise on the Teifi?

Any help to give me a half reasonable chance would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Roger

Teifi Terrorist (Steffan) is the man to speak to mate...

Comment

Any chance of anyone helping with this?

Would it be possible for someone to give some more detailed information about this? It would be helpful and much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

I am not an expert on the Teifi but i use a 10ft 7wt rod, so a 9ft 6ins should be fine, lines, floater through to medium fast sinker.
        Flies Moc Morgans & G Harris book Succesfull sea trout fishing should see you right. But Steffan has written some good articles in Trout & Salmon.
        Chest waders and a torch, and finally prey for drier warmer weather!
        Tight Lines
        Aled

Comment

Originally posted by Rwatking View Post
          I'm soon to be retiring to West Wales and am looking forward to taking up the opportunity to fish the Teifi. I'm completely new to river fishing, having spent most of my angling time still water trout fly fishing. My armourey currently consists of a 9.5 foot AFTM 7 to 8 weight fly rod. Holiday rock fishing has added a 7 foot spinning rod.

At this stage I'm not sufficiently confident to wade so am likely to be spending my first outings from the banks. How well is my current tackle going to cope in pursuing a spectrum of quarry (primarily trout and sewin) and with the different river conditions that might arise on the Teifi?

Any help to give me a half reasonable chance would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Roger
          Sorry Roger, haven't checked in for a while to missed this one.

9.5ft for #7-8 is fine; perfect in fact. I use the same but in a 10ft version.

Wading; I would recommend getting a pair, especially for when the river drops back. Just pick a safe pool to get you started and just wade to your knees. The Teifi is safe on the whole, but just wait for the level to drop back a bit first. You will find wading to be essential on many if not most pools unfortunately.

Lines; just get a floating line and perhaps a couple of interchangeable tips to begin with along with an intermediate line. That will cover the bases well.

One spool of 8lb fluorocarbon and one spool of 12lb maxmima ultragreen will see you right.

Flies; you need a good mixture of sizes, basically. Carry loads of different sizes, profiles and weights rather than worrying too much about colour. You will find some useful patterns in the fly section of the forum.

Any more specific questions then ask away and we will all assist as needed.

TT.

Comment

Back down on the teifi next week , hopefully to snare my first fly caught sewin .
            When would you drop down and use the 8lb flouro TT ?

Comment

Originally posted by ianw View Post
              Back down on the teifi next week , hopefully to snare my first fly caught sewin .
              When would you drop down and use the 8lb flouro TT ?
              Hi Ian,

just use the 8lb fluoro before it gets dark e.g. next week you would use it up until around 10pm, then go on the 12lb stuff. They are never leader shy after dark, so you could use even heavier stuff if you wanted, but they can be leader shy in the daytime, hence the fluoro and hence the lighter breaking strain.

My personal choice is the Airflo G3. Quite stiff and very strong. Never let me down.

Tight-lines, it's getting as close to perfect as we have seen for nearly 2 months to you're trip could be very well timed!

Was guiding a gent last night and he got 2 and lost 1, including a landed fish of 4lb. We're seeing them now too, which is a huge relief, as they have really been sulking.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                Sorry Roger, haven't checked in for a while to missed this one.

9.5ft for #7-8 is fine; perfect in fact. I use the same but in a 10ft version.

Wading; I would recommend getting a pair, especially for when the river drops back. Just pick a safe pool to get you started and just wade to your knees. The Teifi is safe on the whole, but just wait for the level to drop back a bit first. You will find wading to be essential on many if not most pools unfortunately.

Lines; just get a floating line and perhaps a couple of interchangeable tips to begin with along with an intermediate line. That will cover the bases well.

One spool of 8lb fluorocarbon and one spool of 12lb maxmima ultragreen will see you right.

Flies; you need a good mixture of sizes, basically. Carry loads of different sizes, profiles and weights rather than worrying too much about colour. You will find some useful patterns in the fly section of the forum.

Any more specific questions then ask away and we will all assist as needed.

TT.
                TT thanks for the info just what I needed.

would you use any small tubes

Neil

Comment

Working...
                X