Sea-trout starter courses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea-trout starter courses?

I understand that a few of the members on here would be new to sea-trout fishing, so would welcome some input from you please, if possible:

1. What would you like to see if you went on or attended a beginners course in sea-trout fishing? would you like to see/learn of the biology etc. or would you prefer to stick to the fishing side? How many days would you find acceptable? 2 days 2 nights i.e. a weekend?

2. Those of you that may have been doing it for a few years, would you appreciate or welcome an advanced style learning course? i.e. a course that doesn't cover the basics covered in the beginners course.

Indeed, you may have attended such a course in the past; what did you find of particular benefit? and what did you see as a waste of time? Or, what was omitted that you would have liked to have seen covered?

Thanks for any help/input that you can provide.

TT.

1/. Thinking back I would have appreciated a very brief note on the biology, more on habits, a daytime walk spotting sewin and working out where to fish in the evening, a discussion on flies and lines and leaders and daytime practice setting them up and understanding casting angles/retrieves for different flows.

I think it would have to be a day and a night, so people could arrive Friday night, when it is useless trying to fish as they haven't learnt anything, study on Saturday, fish that night and on Sunday you would have a bash at either salmon or brownies doing something different. Then you could have regular monthly courses in June, July and August, possibly even September.

There could be another course which would be a bit more involved which included the Sunday night for those coming up for a week. The Sunday would be spent looking at different beats and understanding how to fish them. The person would then be really well set up for the week's holiday

2/. Yes I would. Cant tell you what would need to be in it because I haven't learnt it yet!! Perhaps how to unhook an otter without losing the fly or fingers? Pursuing doubles? Where the local lap dancing club is for when the tarth comes down?

Comment

TT,

having fished with you the other night I think you're being hard on yourself...I would put you at intermediate rather than beginner!!

W&S

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
        I understand that a few of the members on here would be new to sea-trout fishing, so would welcome some input from you please, if possible:

1. What would you like to see if you went on or attended a beginners course in sea-trout fishing? would you like to see/learn of the biology etc. or would you prefer to stick to the fishing side? How many days would you find acceptable? 2 days 2 nights i.e. a weekend?
        Arrive Friday late afternoon, brief introduction & then straight into a night session. Saturday mid day, I would say the "class room" element of things, followed by a bit of time on the river spotting fish & identifying lies etc, etc. Early evening spent discussing tactics & being showed different set ups etc.
        Fishing on the Sat night. Sunday mid morning have a bit of an over view of what was presented so far. Followed by a question & answer session.

2. Those of you that may have been doing it for a few years, would you appreciate or welcome an advanced style learning course? i.e. a course that doesn't cover the basics covered in the beginners course.

Most definately. (:,

Indeed, you may have attended such a course in the past; what did you find of particular benefit? and what did you see as a waste of time? Or, what was omitted that you would have liked to have seen covered?

Thanks for any help/input that you can provide.

TT.
        I think that this would prove to be a good venture Steff, I'm sure that you would have a lot of interest. Go for it ! |\
        Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

Would love to sign up for a weekend course if and when they start.

Comment

Thanks for the comments W&S! :> it's nice to know I'm progressing, albeit slowly!

Thanks for the comments gents, much appreciated. It is something that I will be setting up in earnest for the 2009 season, so really welcome the input, thanks. I would rather put something together that people would like to attend, rather than what I think they would like to attend.

Keep the comments coming please, however trivial or basic they may seem.

TT.

Comment

My sea trout starter course was courtesy of Daiwl Bach and a few others on here on the Tefi for a weekend a few years back. To be fair there were some bad habits aquired which are dying hard for me as I had Sewinman as my sewin role-model which means I was trying emulate my mentor by being (and I qoute) "as drunk as a rabbit"

Ah the memories!
              Bri
              www.goldengrovecottages.com
              www.carmsriverstrust.org

Comment

I would come but how do you teach the "magic" Steffan bach. Now if you could do that...........

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBri View Post
                  My sea trout starter course was courtesy of Daiwl Bach and a few others on here on the Tefi for a weekend a few years back. To be fair there were some bad habits aquired which are dying hard for me as I had Sewinman as my sewin role-model which means I was trying emulate my mentor by being (and I qoute) "as drunk as a rabbit"

Ah the memories!
                  Bri
                  How things change young Morgan aka Sewinman is a sober as a judge these days ,why only monday I had to twist his arm to get him over to the Leicester Arms for a glass or two of some soft foreign drink:}

Comment

Sea trout starter course

As an absolute beginner I've read a lot on theory and gained a lot from the guys on the forum so I'm not sure that sessions devoted to theory would add that much. There are a few things though that would really help me out:

Despite loads of casting practice I could always improve and any pointers related to casting at night would be helpful, even just an hour or two in daylight.

A daytime recce of the beat with someone who knows what they are doing would be really helpful.

I've been tying flies for six months now and have got loads of them. I've caught a kelt on one of them and that's it so I don't know if they're good bad or indifferent. A really honest, if neccessary, brutal crit of my flies would be extremely helpful, if painful. I'm not a sensitive soul.

Fishing once or twice through a pool alongside a tutor before being let loose for a while would demonstrate technique and pick up any errors or bad practice. It would also give the tutor the chance to move on to the next beginner. I'm sure a three or four visits from a tutor during the night would do the trick and would probably allow a reasonable sized group to be viable whilst keeping costs reasonable.

As for duration, Friday night to Sunday Morning would be really good. After the first night's fishing, some time on the second day could be a group review of the nights fishing with options after of a bit more casting or maybe 2 hrs flytying.

Alternatively I would be happy to pay for a night's guided fishing 1-1

Cheers,

Flytrier

Comment

Hi Steff,

I would say for a weekend: Arrive earlyish on a friday night, say 6pm. Have a brief introduction of the basic tactics, approach etc. Then walk the beat - pick out the good lies (hopefully spot some fish!). I would definately want to fish the friday night - I can't see the point of arriving on the friday if not and as much time fishing is always best.

On the saturday a lot longer could be spent on the biology, fish behaviour etc and, probably most useful, a problem 'clinic' based on the previous night. By this I mean kind of a Q&A session where problems from the previous night can be aired and hopefully answered (casting, retrieves, tactics etc). For me there is nothing like learning from your own experience rather than someone just telling you what to do.

Anyway, that's what I would like to see for beginners - and I would definately be interested in an 'improvers' or more advanced course.

Hope that helps...

Comment

Steff,

Ditto to what most others have said really, incorporating some or all of the suggestions.

For myself, the reading of the different types of pool, flies to start with, use and finish in desperation with (!) would be very useful, as would general habits and biology of the fish (though not too much on this), and a damned good pub lunch to bring on the craic! :> Water heights, and the variances and importance of these, would also be useful to discuss.

General fishing information really, with some banter and science stuff thrown in would be my choice. Oh, and I echo T7 in that fishin on Friday would be a must.....

Cheers,

Oscar

Comment

TT

I would agree with what has been said i especially would value the opportunity of some fly tying lessons being incorporated especially when it comes from a top class tier like yourself.

Furthermore have u ever considered either producing some fly tying dvd's incorproating the real killers that will catch sewin rather than the usual bog standard patterns / tosh that are always on the dvd's around today on the market?. Perhaps another potential venture might be to producing a fishing dvd about sea trout fishing covering tackle, perhaps the beats which u usually guide on in both day/night time fishing, and some quality action as to my knowledge there isnt any that really covers this area of fishing - or am i mistaken? - Im confident not only would there be a big demand for this type of dvd in the fishing fraternity but might also be good way to also advertise your company and the package deals / fishing u can offer to those looking to arrange a fishing hols .

Lastly slightly off subject but re the fly tying section is it possible to post a virtual fly tying section - ive seen it on an american forum where you and other forum members could add a video of the tying for anyone to download.

Have got off my soap box now :?:?

Luke
                          Last edited by LuckyLuke; 29-06-2008, 14:58.

Comment

Fly tying and seatrout course

Two weekends might work - the first on tying flies for seatrout followed some weeks later by a weekend fishing the flies. People could attend either or both.

Flytrier

Comment

Hi TT

I would sign up for a modern intoduction to sea trouting on the Teifi. I'm in a Falkus time warp ( being of a certain age ) and would like to see your new techniques / flies etc in action in 2009. Make sure you send me an invite.

Comment

Working...
                              X