Skinny Runt Cascade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny Runt Cascade

One of a hundred million variations of the now internationally famous shrimp pattern from el Big Yin 'imself Mr. Ally Gowans. As a shrimp pattern it is of course not at all a sea trout pattern as shrimps are not on the menu in a sea trouts diet. The question begs why post it on here? Well it is a great pattern for salmon and grilse and I personally quite like it and I hope you do too.

The Dressing

Hook: Partridge Salar Silver Size 7
    Thread: Black
    Body rear half: Medium silver tinsel
    Body front half: Black Straggle Ice
    Rib: Medium silver wire
    Hackle: Mixed orange and yellow hen
    Wing: Mixed orange, yellow and black bucktail
    Last edited by laffingravy; 21-06-2012, 19:26.
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

In coloured water the cascade accounts for 90% of my sea trout.

Comment

Originally posted by martyg View Post
      In coloured water the cascade accounts for 90% of my sea trout.

The sea trout is indeed a most enigmatic species. Your comment makes it even more enigmatic for me. It must been have a massive leap of faith, certainly more faith than I possess to use a Cascade or indeed any shrimp pattern for sea trout the first time that you tried it. Sea trout do not eat shripms. You have however evidently had success and power to your elbow. For my own part I fish Cascades, Pot Bellied Pigs and Ally's Shrimps for salmon and grilse as I have great deal of faith in them as shrimp patterns make up approximately 100% of my salmon fly arsenal. In the rivers of Northern England which is primarily where I fish I have never ever even 'acccidentally' hooked a sea trout while salmon fishing with shrimp patterns. It would follow then that I would not contemplate using them whilst fishing withe intention of catching sea trout. For my own part in coloured water I tend to use bigger versions of the same old, same old patterns that I use for sea trout in clear water.

I will sum it up in one sentence: the more I look, the less I see ::/
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

I was indeed targeting salmon when fishing the cascade!But the northumbrian sea trout took a liking to it.When a spate is running off my typical cast is a cascade on the point and a silver stoat variant on the dropper.I have 100% faith in this cast and when conditions are right it doesnt often let me down.The only hard part is deciding whether to strike or not

Comment

A cascade doesn't look a lot like a shrimp though if we're honest. It's a glorified silver stoat! That skinny version is very similar to a silver stoat and would do well for sea trout IMO

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
            A cascade doesn't look a lot like a shrimp though if we're honest. It's a glorified silver stoat! That skinny version is very similar to a silver stoat and would do well for sea trout IMO
            Surely a silver stoat is a black and silver by any other name, nothing like a cascade in my opinion, both in shape and colour.
            The only thing that is common to both paterns is the silver body, or the rear half of the body on a cascade.

To avoid confusion, the cascade is the first picture, only joking.

Last edited by Teifi-rod; 24-06-2012, 14:13.

Comment

Have a look at the original fly posted above and tell me that isn't simply a black and silver/silver stoat with a bit of added colour. Cut the tail off a cascade and you have a silver stoat with 2 hackles instead of 1. Anyway my main point is that a cascade doesn't look like a shrimp... |\

Comment

Well caught my pb sea trout yesterday on no other than a cascade!!

Comment

Working...
                X