Treble upgrade on Rapala?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treble upgrade on Rapala?

Lost a few fish to hook pulls already this season on 70mm rapalas. does anyone on here upgrade trebles to anything different? If so, what?

Also toying with the idea of a flying treble on wire off the back of the rapala, whats your views?

Rhys

Originally posted by Rhys27 View Post
    Lost a few fish to hook pulls already this season on 70mm rapalas. does anyone on here upgrade trebles to anything different? If so, what?

Also toying with the idea of a flying treble on wire off the back of the rapala, whats your views?

Rhys
    Do you realy need 3 sets of trebles on a 7cm lure???? or any lure/bait come to think of it.

Comment

no i meant swap the back treble. i release all my fish so i wouldnt want a 3rd treble mate. sorry for not being clearer. just think it may improve the hook holding if the there was no leverage off the lure against the treble if you understand me?

Comment

no i meant swap the back treble. i release all my fish so i wouldnt want a 3rd treble mate. sorry for not being clearer. just think it may improve the hook holding if the there was no leverage off the lure against the treble if you understand me?
        Just add an extra split ring on to each hook, cured.
        If your releasing your fish and you have to use trebles then why not get some barbless from this company
        http://www.ilba.it/uk/index.html
        They are very good hooks.

Cap

Comment

Thanks mate, thats a great idea. and yes barbless hooks is a good shout. thank you. i usually just squeeze the barbs down with pliers

Comment

Hi..my way is to remove all the trebles put an extra split ring on the tail and increase the tail hook size ..depending on the style of treble used this can be 2 sizes larger. I found that the supplied hooks are a bit small for my liking and also the upper trebles have a knack of levering out the tail hook and result in fish losses and also sometimes the upper trebles can catch their eyes. In my mind these lures do not need six and nine hook points in the fishes mouth so all my plugs including my bass plugs have one tail treble and thats all.
            hope this helps
            Glyn

Comment

Sorry, my misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn View Post
                Hi..my way is to remove all the trebles put an extra split ring on the tail and increase the tail hook size ..depending on the style of treble used this can be 2 sizes larger. I found that the supplied hooks are a bit small for my liking and also the upper trebles have a knack of levering out the tail hook and result in fish losses and also sometimes the upper trebles can catch their eyes. In my mind these lures do not need six and nine hook points in the fishes mouth so all my plugs including my bass plugs have one tail treble and thats all.
                hope this helps
                Glyn
                With just adding the extra split ring will dramatically reduce the leverage effect without increasing the hook(gape)size. By increasing the hook(gape) measurement it might make the lure illegal on certain waters, would be a good idea to check that out on any and all waters your likely to visit.

Cap

Comment

Hi You can increase the hook size to any lure you want as long as it is within the EA Regs for hook size. In saying that are flies regulated by size.. you can fish salmon flies up to 6/0 hooks and bigger no problems there. There must be very few rivers that impose hook size rules for salmon and sewin I don't know any at all. But I do think there could be issues for example putting the size of a treble of a mepp long size 4 on a mepp angla plain size 1 making it a foul hooking lure if you see what I mean. You can change the size of your hooks on your lures with no issues at all within reason.
                  Cheers
                  Glyn
                  Last edited by Glyn; 15-06-2012, 19:19.

Comment

Working...
                  X