X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy Partner

..........................There's a snake in my boot

Tying Materials

Carcass: Partridge X1 Outpoint Treble Black Size 10 whipped to a doubled length of 25lbs bs Gorilla fluorocarbon whipped to a cut down sea fishing hook (front end of hook only used)
    Thread: Orange at rear and black at head
    Tag: A doubled length of No10 Glo Brite Floss
    Body: Silver Mylar
    Wing: Crimson dyed Cashmere goat hair overlaid with slim bunches of black dyed bucktail overlaid with strands of peacock sword
    Cheeks: Jungle cock nails.

The most important aspect of the dressing is of course the inspiration to dress this style of pattern. To give full credit where it is of course due it was provided to my by Mr. Alun Rees of South Wales a few years ago. It has been a highly successful style of dressing for me ever since for sea trout and some big ones at that
    Last edited by laffingravy; 08-06-2012, 08:17.
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Very nice indeedy partner :>

Comment

Gimme a shot of Redeye
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Very nice laffingravy. Do you tie the materials to the hook shank or the mylar? Ive found that snakes ive used in the past the head/wing etc have slipped down the body!
        Tightlines andy

Comment

Originally posted by fordfly View Post
          Very nice laffingravy. Do you tie the materials to the hook shank or the mylar? Ive found that snakes ive used in the past the head/wing etc have slipped down the body!
          Tightlines andy

The pattern is dressed in 2 stages. The first stage is the carcass. This involves mounting the treble in a vice and pushing monofilament through the eye around the back of the treble and back through the eye. These flying ends are then threaded through the eye of a cut down single hook using just the eye and about 1/4" of shank. The cut end of the shank should be smoothed to prevent a ragged end cutting the monofilament. Both ends of the mono are doubled back down the hook shank and whipped down. Apply a small dab of varnish or superglue to the whipped thread at the treble and at the single (rear end and front end). It is more effeicient to make up a batch of carcasses and then go on to fully dress them later.
          The second stage involves remounting the treble in the vice and pushing a length of Mylar over the carcass. The rear end is whipped down and overwrapped with Glo Brite Floss to your own colour preference. This is then glued with a small dab of superglue. The single end has the Mylar whipped down and the waste end cut off. The eye is then held in the tip of the vice jaws and the snake is dressed to your colour preference.
          The whole method reads quite a bit fiddly but in practice it is really very straight forward. With only the most basic of fly dressing ability and a little practice they turn out half decent. I personally prefer them to braided snakes as I have a long term distrust of braided material. Having said this a lot of people dress braided snakes and catch a lot of fish with them. I suppose it is just a matter of personal taste. If you like I will stick a step by step on here. Let me know and I will sort it.
          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the info laffingravy,youve inspired me to try tying a few up
            over the weekend!! With all this rain i wont be doing much fishing::
            Thanks again Andy

Comment

Originally posted by fordfly View Post
              Thanks for the info laffingravy,youve inspired me to try tying a few up
              over the weekend!! With all this rain i wont be doing much fishing::
              Thanks again Andy

If you need any help then please just ask. I hope that you will post pics of some of your finished articles |\
              www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks laffingravy. Ill try n post some pics on monday.
                Tightlines andy

Comment

Working...
                X