top 10 materials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top 10 materials

hi everyone, ive just recently joined the forum and this is my first thread.

ive been fly fishing for a few years now but this will be my first year on the sewin. ive joined the teifi this year which very kindly offered students a discounted rate which can only be described as a bargain! at the price they offer i thaught there would be more but it turns out im one of 3. more fish for me i guess!

anyway, im looking to buy some materials to tie some of my own sewin flies. ive tied my own flies before but mainly for the wild brownies of the usk when i was based there.

if you could help me by listing your top 10 most used materials it would be a good guide for me to go on what to buy. ive seen fox, deer, squirrel and many more used as the wings etc, but if i could narrow id down a bit im sure it would help with what to get, thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

thanks for joining the forum and thanks for posting.

Ah, the good old days of student rates with LlAA. A bargain, I totally agree. However, we're trying to encourage as much of the youth as possible to joint he club, so try to make it as cost efficient as possible. Indeed, the younger members join for just £2 a season! This is well received and we have a healthy membership from this perspective, which is just great to see.

Where you based Dan?

Anyway, back to business.

If I were only allowed 10 materials (not counting hooks or tubes) then I would go with the following, in no particular order:

1. Black Russian squirrel tail.
    2. Natural (grey) squirrel tail.
    3. Arctic fox in a strong, blood red (scarlet) + same in yellow, black, orange and blue (is that cheating? same material but different colours?! )
    4. Schlappen or saltwater grade saddle hackles in blue, red and black.
    5. Golden pheasant; complete head section. Topping and tippets always useful.
    6. Silver + Gold tinsel in both medium and large and in both normal and holographic.
    7. Silver and Gold wire.
    8. Peacock; as much as you can get hold of! I love it and use it in as many flies as I can get away with. I find the eyes most useful, but the swords are handy too. I tend to use a lot of the hanked stuff, which is great for winging. You can get it in a few colours too, but it doesn't tend to hold the colours well, so natural will do.
    9. Bucktail in black and blue.
    10. Teal feathers - lovely feathers to work with, and make a nice topping on a fly.
    10.1. ( :> ) Some hanked flash; krinkle mirror flash in blue and peacock black. Same in crystal mirror flash. Silver krystal flash.

That would be about it I reckon. That would do me quite happily. I'd probably add JC to the list, but not really an 'essential'.

Happy tying, and let us see some creations!

TT.

Comment

Won't go wrong with that list, although being pedantic Steff, you might need some threads to tie all that on??? :@

Comment

I was just about to say the same thing , come on Steff mun lol

Dai.

Comment

Are you trying to tell me that you guys are so last century that you're still actually using tying silk?! Mine are held together with pixie dust, as if by magic!! :>

Yes Dan, you may want some thread too!!! |\

I'd go with some black and fire orange uni-thread in 6/0.

TT.

Comment

super stuff steff, that list looks pretty good and dead helpful! ill have to have a go soon n show you some of the mostrosities yes thread would definately be helpful!

and whats your favourite single, double and treble patters to tie on?

cheers

Comment

Only three materials required! I would suggest...

1. Thick Nylon woven into a mesh
              2. Long ropes about 50 meters each
              3. Coracle or boat or similar

Comment

LOL Caerwynt
                1. Black Thread
                2. Black Hair of some description (Squirrel, Fox, Bucktail sewin don't seem to mind)
                3. Silver Tinsel
                4. Red Hair. (Type same as Black)
                5. Orange Hair(Type same as Black)
                6. Yellow Hair. (Type same as Black)
                7. Black Floss
                8. Silver Wire
                9. Orange Seals Fur
                10. Pack of Blue Hackles

Now that would see me through a salmon and sewin season, but I am very gratefull that this question is only theoretical as i would miss tying trout flies!
                Tight Lines
                Aled

Comment

Originally posted by daniel eddison View Post
                  super stuff steff, that list looks pretty good and dead helpful! ill have to have a go soon n show you some of the mostrosities yes thread would definately be helpful!

and whats your favourite single, double and treble patters to tie on?

cheers
                  No worries Dan, happy to help.

Hooks:

Singles; for short shanks you really can't go wrong with the kamasan B175. Longhank; you won't get me off the Ken Sawada LD2's, awesome hook - size 6 is the go-to size.

Doubles; don't fish many big doubles. For the smaller ones I would use either the partridge HND's or one of my favourites would be the Sprite heavyweight competition doubles.

Trebles; never use them unless they're on the back of a surface lure or secret weapon. I'd go with the owner stinger ST-36BC. Awesome hooks, but pricey.

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/terminal-tackle-hooks-(treble/double)-c-56_59.html

Originally posted by Caer Wynt Loops View Post
                  Only three materials required! I would suggest...

1. Thick Nylon woven into a mesh
                  2. Long ropes about 50 meters each
                  3. Coracle or boat or similar
                  Unfortunately you have more than 2 brain cells, so they would not give you a licence!

TT.

Comment

Working...
                  X