Materials

Hook- Kamasan low water size 6
    Thread- Fire orange Uni 6/0
    Tail- Golden Pheasant Tippet
    Rib- Small silver wire
    Body- Uni silver tinsel
    Hackle- Black cock
    Wing- Blue Squirrel tail

Start by mounting hook in vice and laying down a bed of thread stopping just past point of hook.

Catch in Pheasant tippet and run thread up to eye of hook. Making sure to keep waste length of hook for smooth even body.

Catch in silver wire and run thread back to the tail. Then catch in Silver tinsel and run thread back to eye of hook. Making sure to keep body as smooth as possible.

Then wind tinsel up the body and then the rib in even turns.

Before winding up the rib i like to lift the tail and give a few turns of siver wire at the back for protection and to lift the tail a little.

Next catch in black cock hackle.

Wind hackle 4-5 times around hook.

You can either trim the top of the hackle or what I like to do is sweep hackle down under shank and tie over top with a couple of wraps of thread.

Next take a small bunch of squirrel tail and tie in on top. I like to stack my hair as the coloured bars show more evenly.

Finish off by building a neat head and tying off. Then give a few coats of varnish.

A few others using blue squirrel tail.

Hope you like it.

All comments welcome.

STE
    Last edited by Seatrouteddie; 22-04-2012, 22:12.

Lovely STE , they would be just the ticket down this neck of the woods for the next few months |\

Dai.

Comment

Lovely flies ste,especialy like the snake! tightlines andy

Comment

Working...
      X