Sea Trout Muddler - Step By Step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Trout Muddler - Step By Step

I have had some unusual success with this pattern. I have tried Jambo's in the past and while I have nothing against them they just don't seem to work to well in the waters that I fish. Muddlers on the other hand work extremely well. Why is this? Best ask a talking sea trout.

The Dressing

Hook: Partridge Salar Size 7 silver.
    Thread: Black.
    Tag: Glo Brite No 10 floss.
    Rib: Uni Silver Tinsel No 12
    Wing: A few strands of black dyed bucktail overlaid with 4 strands of pearl sparkle.
    Head: Spun and trimmed black dyed deer hair.

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in the vice with the point protruding.

Step 2: Attach black tying thread around rear centre section of shank.

Step 3: Tie in a doubled length of No 10 Glo Brite floss.

Step 4: Wind the floss to form tag and trim waste ends. Wind thread to mid point of hook to form body.

Step 5: Cut a short length of wide silver tinsel. Trim end to an acute point and tie point in with 2 turns of thread.

Step 6: Wind thread to front end of tag and wind back to start point. Ensure that turns of thread touch and that taper in body is graduated.

Step 7: Wind tinsel in open turns to form rib.

Step 8: Tie in a slim bunch of bucktail to form wing.

Step 9: Overlay the wing with2 doubled strands of fine pearl flash.

Step 10: Now the fun and games really bloody start. Tie in a clump of black dyed deer hair. You should tie in the hair near the root of the fibres. Follow this with a further bunch but with this bunch pinch and loop with a fairly loose loop. The next loop should be tighter allowing the deer hair to spin around the hook shank. Follow this with additional bunches working along the remaining length of hook shank. (It is of course preferable to do this when your other half is shopping as it makes a hell of a mess.)

Step 11: Whip finish and varnish the head.

Step 12: Upon completion the deer hair should have formed something which looks something like one of my wife's false eyelashes. Trim this to shape using scissors. Start at the eye and clip the hair very close. Clip away the hair from under the hook shank to reveal the body and rib that you have created. Trim the upper hair to a blunt point to create a wake in flowing water.

Wait for summer - not long now. Wait for dark. Throw it in the water and for Pete's sake HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE!!!!!
    Last edited by laffingravy; 10-04-2012, 08:22. Reason: Stupid comment
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Just the job |\

Tight Lines

Dai.

Comment

nice tying thanks for sharing

Comment

grate fly |\

Comment

Working...
        X