Switch Rods.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Rods.

Hi lads, I am hoping to buy a switch rod in the up coming back end sales. The Guideline LPXE Switch is the one that seems to stand out although I must add that I have only the most cursory knowledge/experience with this style. Am wondering if the extension gives any bother, or are there better value alternatives. Cheers PJ.

Never fished with many switch rods. However, if the switch LPXE is as good as any other LPXE that I have used then you will not be dissapointed. Awesome blanks.

TT.

Comment

Can't speak to this particular rod, but I can 'speak' to switch rods. Very popular configuration for smaller rivers here in the PNW and the Great Lakes streams. Matched up with a Scandi or Skagit head you could have your rear end up a against a tree and still effectively cast the thing. With their shorter length (usually 10.5 to 12 foot long) they're an all day rod that will not tire you out after hours of casting.

Only (small) word of caution is watch the 'grain weight' of the line you're using; don't over load the rod especially if you intend to use sink tips or sinking poly-leaders and larger flies.

Proved that bit earlier this week when I blew one up. My Bad, not the rods.

Sigh, off being 'repaired' as I type.

fred

Comment

Thanks guys, will pay particular attention to the head weight as you point out Fred , Clonanav have an annual twenty percent off sale in November they also facilitate the trial of the rod with various lines so should be able source a suitable set up there. I may be heading to the west coast myself next summer as some acquaintances are talking up a house swap , they are based in Seattle I hear great things about the salmon runs in those parts. Thanks PJ.

Comment

I have a 7 weight Vision Catapult Switch. It is paired up with the Rio AFS 7 weight shooting head. It is a great rod and does well with the line. The only downside is that it doesn't particularly like the AFS tips particularly the clear hover. It does work with Airflo polyleaders but I am not the biggest fan in the world of polyleaders as I don't think they sink at the rate they should. Apparently Rio have a new switch line out which is meant to be very good. I haven't used one so cannot comment directly. I feel the only limitation with switch rods is the limit of my own imagination since I lack the confidence to fish with mine seriously for salmon. To my own detriment I see my own rod as a bit gimmicky. I have however taken grilse with it.
          Last edited by laffingravy; 26-09-2011, 15:03. Reason: Another bloody typo - my fingers are not iPad compatible
          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Well, well, well! My busted Baby is back with Father. Custom Rod by Steve Gotshall here in Medford, Oregon. Steve's actually more known in the 2-hander community (Nationally) for his custom made fly lines. (Don't cost a penny more than something 'off the shelf.')

The thing is each line is made for a specific rod AND the casters style of casting. As Steve knows mine (I tend to 'over power' a rod on the forward cast) he'll build a line at the lighter end of the rods 'grain range.' That requires me to 'slow down' and on lighter rods that makes a hell of a difference.

Oh, and a new line coming for the repaired 'stick;' one I was using was waaaaay too heavy for the rod. Add my casting 'style' and the combo was a disaster just looking for a place to happen.::

fae

Comment

Will say, that's all i use these days.

Use
              Sage Z-axis 8114,
              Sage TCX 8119-4,
              Sage XP 8124,

As you can see, all 8#. use the sewincaster line's. plus 7/8 AFS System lines 480 grains, plus the airflo short scagit again 480 grains.

Will say, you will love getting into switch rod fishing.

Dai.
              Any Day with a Y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I had felt they were something of a fad myself until recently when a chap followed me down a pool with ease after I struggled with my elbows in the drink . I noticed the sexy build you did for the z -axis Dai jones ,lovely . PJ
                Last edited by Toasted heretic; 29-09-2011, 17:56. Reason: grammer

Comment

PJ, with a proper line set up laying out 50 to 90 feet of line/leader off the reel, is very 'real.' Due to the short nature of the rod 9 -12 foot leaders is all you need (beyond that I suspect they'd hinge like heck, even 12' is pushing the limit).

As for sink tips, stick with 'Poly-leader's up to 10' or 'T-8' or 'T 11' of the same/shorter length.
                  Fred

Comment

Having forgotten pretty much about my switch rod I took it out on Wednesday last to give it a 'run out' again. I must confess that I had all but forgotten just how good it is to use. Whether it is because I have absolutely hammered shooting head lines all this season or because I have just hammered salmon casting this season I do not know but the fact of the matter is it an absolute bloody joy to chuck out in anger. I intend to use it heavily until the month end when sadly my season finishes :@
                    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Arff-Arff

In low water/small stream conditions these Puppies Hunt.|\
                      Fre

Comment

Working...
                      X