The Ubiquitous Stoat Tail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ubiquitous Stoat Tail

This pattern and it's many probably hundreds of derivatives must have done for millions of fish over the years. I have found this derivative to be as good as any and better than most that I have experimented with. In all truth it is part of my essential 6 whilst fishing for sea trout. When you look at the other 5 they don't look all that different to each other - black, silver and yellow or yellow, silver and black or silver, black oh what the hell? I am sure you get the general idea.

The Dressing

Tube: Veniard 1" aluminium or stout plastic
    Thread: Black
    Tag: Glo Brite No10
    Body: Medium silver tinsel - I would respectfully suggest running a thin seam of superglue along the top of the tube prior to winding the tinsel. Lashing a fly around in the dark tends to be a little unforgiving on the fly and sea trout will absolutely 'rag it'
    Rib : Medium silver wire
    Hackle: Red dyed hen
    Wing: A bunch of black dyed fox squirrel tail fibres this may be overlaid with horns of fine pearl tinsel to add a little extra bling if so required. This is more of a confidence booster for the angler since the fish don't seem to give a bugger
    Cheeks: Jungle cock tied in to extend to the end of the tube.
    www.silversalmon.co.uk
Working...
X