Wanted - wading staff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted - wading staff

I'm looking for a stout wading staff, about 56"-60" with lanyard. I do not want a sectional or collapsible staff, but a telescopic staff would be OK providing it has a very secure locking mechanism.
    Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

If I may offer a suggestion? http://www.thestickman.co.uk/

Not 'cheap' as all are custom made to order (some exceptions I'd assume) but they're built 'hell bent for stout.' |\ Ordered one up and all I could say when I opened the package (here in Southern Oregon) was WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by fredaevans View Post
      If I may offer a suggestion? http://www.thestickman.co.uk/

Not 'cheap' as all are custom made to order (some exceptions I'd assume) but they're built 'hell bent for stout.' |\ Ordered one up and all I could say when I opened the package (here in Southern Oregon) was WOW!
      Yes, I used to live near him and bought my mother a custom walking stick from him three years ago (very nice). Unfortunately there's a 6 - 10 week delivery period and I could do with one next week.

Also, if I was going down the custom route, I'd probably make my own with a internally weighted bottom, heavy duty bronze screw joint (so that it could be broken into two sections for easy transport), long cork handle (for grip), and a deer-horn handled priest that recessed into the top (or perhaps a tube-flask for the whiskey). perhaps finished off with a hallmarked silver band below the handle with my name and crest engraved. Not to forget the tooled leather lanyard :>
      Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Comment

This is the only one I own, and have been very happy with it:

http://www.taimen.com/product/show_product/90046

TT.

Comment

Missed this: " ....... with a internally weighted bottom ...." Don't recommend you go there as that may well just weaken the wood. Use lead tape for an exterior wrap (as does the Stickman).

fae

Comment

Originally posted by fredaevans View Post
            Missed this: " ....... with a internally weighted bottom ...." Don't recommend you go there as that may well just weaken the wood. Use lead tape for an exterior wrap (as does the Stickman).

fae
            It shouldn't weaken the wood. If I were building it, I'd be using lead shot embedded in an epoxy matrix. The epoxy/lead would completely fill the drilled recess and also bond to the wood. In fact, it would probably be the strongest part of the staff. If a break occurred, it would probably be just above the weighted end (I'd probably use a wire whipping reinforcement there as part of the decoration).

Comment

".... If a break occurred, it would probably be just above the weighted end .... "
              (:,
              That would be my guess too; and if it is going to 'give' it will be a time when you need the staff the most? ~#
              :}

Comment

Working...
              X