Shooting 2011/12 season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting 2011/12 season

Can't wait for September 1st! Good number of ducks around, so should be great.

Have been doing a load of corvid decoying, which has been immense fun - we don't get the pigeons, so that corvids are a good substitute - not from the table perspective. Anyone in the area having issues with corvids then give me a shout, I'll sort them with pleasure!! :>

Was down the estuary yesterday afternoon and was seeing a huge amount of Canada Geese. Let's hope a few find their way over me in a couple of weeks time.

Got a day on the grouse to look forward to first though, which should be amazing.

Had the litter of pups and now down to the one I'm keeping, thanks god as they were certainly a handful towards the end! So will have plenty of work there throughout the season too. She'll be spot on by the 2012/13 season. She's faster than her mother now, so let's hope I can control her! {;

Anyone else getting excited about the season?

TT.

As always TT, but i've got to get some salmon fishing in first. So its October for me............|\
    Tight Lines
    Aled

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
      Can't wait for September 1st! Good number of ducks around, so should be great.

Have been doing a load of corvid decoying, which has been immense fun - we don't get the pigeons, so that corvids are a good substitute - not from the table perspective. Anyone in the area having issues with corvids then give me a shout, I'll sort them with pleasure!! :>

Code:
      Was down the estuary yesterday afternoon and was seeing a huge amount of Canada Geese. Let's hope a few find their way over me in a couple of weeks time.
      Got a day on the grouse to look forward to first though, which should be amazing.

Had the litter of pups and now down to the one I'm keeping, thanks god as they were certainly a handful towards the end! So will have plenty of work there throughout the season too. She'll be spot on by the 2012/13 season. She's faster than her mother now, so let's hope I can control her! {;

Anyone else getting excited about the season?

TT.
      TT,
      Remember to keep the quills, they'll be good for some quill minows.

Cap

Comment

Yes steff i'm all excited, bring on the 1st of sept. On the forshore after the geese for me. Hopefully i'll bag myself a pinkfoot goose again this year.

Lots of ducks around allready, teal and mallard.

Enjoy the grouse mate, speak soon,

Mat.

Comment

Fast Dogs

Hi Steff,
          I'll pass on the advice I was given when I got my first 'fast dog' springer spaniel...

"Keep a photo of him in your pocket then you can remind yourelf as to what he looks like" :@

Ahh but they are good fun and with perseverence make a great long partnership ...once you win !!!

My last springer Toby died at Easter and I just got very lucky last week with a 4 year old 'rescue' springer Branwen that is ready gundog trained. Maybe this is the year I catch my first salmon on the fly too |\

TL's
          Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanMcD View Post
            Hi Steff,
            I'll pass on the advice I was given when I got my first 'fast dog' springer spaniel...

"Keep a photo of him in your pocket then you can remind yourelf as to what he looks like" :@

Ahh but they are good fun and with perseverence make a great long partnership ...once you win !!!

My last springer Toby died at Easter and I just got very lucky last week with a 4 year old 'rescue' springer Branwen that is ready gundog trained. Maybe this is the year I catch my first salmon on the fly too |\

TL's
            Ian
            he he, indeed Ian!!! :> Good to see that you got a new dog, and ready to go for the season too, even better.

Have you been to Sweden yet?

The river was very high and coloured on Monday, so I took a friend of mine on the snipe. We flushed around 40 all told, he got one...

We spooked the ducks off with the shooting, and they didn't come back, sadly, all apart from two teal, of which one was bagged.

TT.

Comment

Managed to get out lastnight for a duck flight, wind was blowing 50mph, awesome conditions, ended up with 4 mallard and a widgeon in the bag.

Mat.

Comment

Hope to get a chance to do sa bit of rough shooting this winter, but judging by my flexi and holiday sheets it may be a struggle!
                Well done Taffy Bass.
                Tight Lines
                Aled
                Last edited by Aled; 25-10-2011, 08:51. Reason: Typo!

Comment

Cheers aled, hope all goes well for you this winter,

Mat.

Comment

A left and right on the widgeon and 2 teal lastnight. And i just got back in before the rain came, bonus.

Comment

Woodcock seem slow in arriving at the moment, the warm autumn is not helping the spawning salmon or my rough shooting!
                      Tight Lines
                      Aled

Comment

Plenty of snipe and duck around anyway. Flushed 80+ snipe a couple of weeks back, and the numbers are still building - as long as we can avoid prolonged frost.

Lots of teal around too, which are great to see.

Had a few nice days already this winter on the driven birds, great fun as always. Will miss a lot of the season due to a trip further South, but such is life.

Haven't been out searching for the woodcock yet, but look forward to asap.

TT.

Comment

Well we had our rough shoot on Saturday and had a great day out with lovely winter sunshine. Of woodcock we saw 15, we usually see around 30 +.
                          Forum member Teifi Terrorist bagged all three which included a left and right. Snipe were more numerous than they have been for years, saw around 20, we bagged 3 which was enough between us. Saw a few pigeons and 1 pheasant, but unable to get a shot off. My other friend Rob bagged a rabbit.We also had a squirrell and a magpie. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and enough happened to keep us interested. A special thanks to Ben and Taff the two spaniels who were a pleasure to see work.
                          Tight Lines
                          Aled

Comment

Awesome day, thanks a lot for your hospitality Aled, superb, as always. |\

Great walk round and what superb weather! Couldn't have asked for better.

Couldn't believe the right and left woodcock, nice way to finish the season for sure. I'll have a lovely new tie by the time you see me next.

Shame the season is over so quicklt, but can't complain, it has been a fun one for sure.

Role on the fishing season.

TT.

Comment

Working...
                            X