Problems overhead casting a 15ft sink tip flyline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems overhead casting a 15ft sink tip flyline

I'm finding it quite hard work to cast a straight line with a WF#8, 15ft clear intermediate tip. Roll casting seems straightforward. But when I go for the overhead cast, it's hard work getting the line neatly out of the water, and into a strong backcast - especially on a longer cast. In the forward cast, the line is often not straight, which is probably related to the backcast problem.

I think roll casting is relatively simple because the the sink tip lifts out of the water when forming the D-loop on the way back.

Any tips on best way to handle sink tip on the way back during an overhead cast?

Have you tried roll casting it onto the surface before starting the overhead?

Comment

Hi Heron,

What line are you using? The cortland or the sewincaster?

Also, what rod are you matching this with? What action is it?

Thanks,

TT.

Comment

Sink tip was hard work

The line is a Sewincaster. The flyrod is an old Daiwa Whisker 10ft, rated #6-8. I would say it's a soft, through-actioned rod. I must say the roll-cast worked easily and effectively and to a reasonable distance. When I wanted more, I switched to the overhead cast, but then it was difficult to get the line out of the water. I don't use the rod much, but I don't think it was down to my lack of practice (also, the line didn't go out straight - possibly compounded by the fact that the line is a WF?)

Comment

I prefer fast actioned rods for sinking lines.

Comment

Hi,

Firstly I'm not the worlds greatest caster! But here is my opinion!!

I seem to remember the profile of the sewincaster and there is considerable weight at the front of the line which helps turn over those big flies and tubes (similar to the Rio Outbound short I'm using this year).

I have found because there is alot of weight up front you may want to shorten the amount of line in the initial back cast. Compared to a "conventional line" (e.g. Cortland Blue etc) a lot less line is need to initially load the rod. Also these lines are designed for one or two false casts max as anymore then you start to cast with the running line bit of the line (if that makes sense) or overload your rod.

I was lucky to speak to Simon Gawesworth at the Sportfish show thsi year (sorry...name drop) and he was saying that these types of lines create massive energy so a nice slow and smooth cast to stop the line smashing into the water.

This year I have learned to spey cast with a single handed rod on the the Towy using this type of line removing the need to backcast (well most of the time).

David

Comment

Originally posted by Caer Wynt Loops View Post
              Hi,

Firstly I'm not the worlds greatest caster! But here is my opinion!!

I seem to remember the profile of the sewincaster and there is considerable weight at the front of the line which helps turn over those big flies and tubes (similar to the Rio Outbound short I'm using this year).

I have found because there is alot of weight up front you may want to shorten the amount of line in the initial back cast. Compared to a "conventional line" (e.g. Cortland Blue etc) a lot less line is need to initially load the rod. Also these lines are designed for one or two false casts max as anymore then you start to cast with the running line bit of the line (if that makes sense) or overload your rod.

I was lucky to speak to Simon Gawesworth at the Sportfish show thsi year (sorry...name drop) and he was saying that these types of lines create massive energy so a nice slow and smooth cast to stop the line smashing into the water.

This year I have learned to spey cast with a single handed rod on the the Towy using this type of line removing the need to backcast (well most of the time).

David
              David, I think you're right, point for point/top to bottom. And I'd just like to add to your last comment on learning 'spey casting' with a one hander rod. I've spent almost as much time 'teaching' this skill set as I have folks on a full on 2-hander. Simon and I have chatted about this on several occasions, and he even has a book out on the subject. A 'must have' skill set.

fae

Comment

Working...
              X