Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• estuary advice

hi
    i've discovered an estuary i fish for flounders gets a few sea trout through it from locals and witnessed one being caught by accident this morning, which got me wondering if it would be worth a go at them with the fly gear?
    the estuary almost completley empties out at low water apart from a narrow channel from the river and when fills is not very deep at high
    i've never fished for sea trout before so have no idea where to start
    would be grateful for any advice on the subject of estuary sea trout
    whats the best time of year, tides, flies and tackle etc
    i have 5, 6, 7 and 8wt outfits i use for browns and bows which i hope will get me started

thanks david

Hi David,

I have never done much fishing for sea-trout actually in the estuaries, but fish several systems where the tide does flood the pools.

The reaches you describe sound like water the fish would literally just swim up and down, rather than stop and hold, which may make life difficult. Perhaps it would be better to keep walking up the system until you come across the first sea pool? They should certainly be holding in there.

If the fish are actively feeding in the estuary, which may be the case based on the recent catch, then they should be worth tareting even in these open reaches. I have fished similar areas in Ireland and got quite a few, using the rogans gadget fly, with a bushy golden olive dabbler on the dropper, which is a bit random, but works.

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/i...lay&thread=643

If the main river is low then you could certainly fish the flood and ebb with confidence. If the sea-trout don't show up then perhaps you still have a chance at the bass or even the flounder on the fly.

TT.

Comment

Hi David , good advice there from Steff , and the rogan gadget is a simple fly to tie , below is a fish I had a few seasons back on a tidal flooded pool in April on a blue holographic bodied one , I also like a green one |\

Dai.

Comment

Nice fish Dai.

I once had one off Fishguard breakwater, whilst spinning for mackerel

Made a nice change and put a big bend in the 7'-0" spinning rod

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill , I bet that fish was a nice surprise ~:.

Dai.

Comment

cheers for the help lads
            just waiting on some mallard for the gadgets
            have tied a few eel patterns also to match what i seen when last there
            hoping to get back up on the next dawn h/w and post results if any
            thanks

Comment

Working...
            X