Sewin Intruders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewin Intruders

Ever now and again, i see a fly that could make a good sewin fly. and the Intruder is my latest go to fly, for the coming season.

I the past, a good few sewin anglers, have said. the flies i tie will never catch sewin, as i am always trying to think outside side of the box. when it comes to sewin flies,

The intruder, i think will fish well. as it gives you a big profile, but a light fly. and there are many times when a big fly will take sewin, more than we think. guys have said to me in the past, what do you think you are going to catch with that monster. i just smile and finish the night with a few fish, when they have blanked. it happened a good few time last season,

Yellow and black,

Orange,

Pink,

Black and red,

Black,

Here are the patterns and colors together, that i will be swimming on the Towy this season.

Here are the tubes i tied them on, the Barbell tube. from the Canadian Tube Company.

Here are the range of tubes, that Stuart. the owner of the company sent me to try out, Have to say they are great quality, also he sent me a range of his spey feathers and hair. and have to say cant fault any of it,

Dai
    Any Day with a Y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.com/

A HUGE 'go to fly' here for Winter Steelhead fishing.

The patterns above are very well done, the only thing 'we do differently' is (because of the huge water flows during the winter) is put 'humongous sized' lead bar-bell eyes on them to get them to sink like a rock. Usually off the end of a sink tip.

Only 'clue' as to what 'we do' is if the fly (off a sink tip) is unweighted, we'll run a minimum of a three foot of leader to the fly so it will 'sink away.' If weighted, more like a 12" to 18."

fae

Comment

Like those Dai! Is there a dressing on the tube or do you leave it bare and tie at the head?

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
        Like those Dai! Is there a dressing on the tube or do you leave it bare and tie at the head?
        Hi T7, Glad you like these ties, i will be using them most nights. this coming season,

Below is a step by step, that i did on another forum. hope it helps you with the tie,

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=25442

Good tying,

Dai.

Comment

Originally posted by fredaevans View Post
          The patterns above are very well done, the only thing 'we do differently' is (because of the huge water flows during the winter) is put 'humongous sized' lead bar-bell eyes on them to get them to sink like a rock. Usually off the end of a sink tip.

Only 'clue' as to what 'we do' is if the fly (off a sink tip) is unweighted, we'll run a minimum of a three foot of leader to the fly so it will 'sink away.' If weighted, more like a 12" to 18."

fae
          Hi Fred, Thanks for your comments, glad you like the tie.

As regards the "humongous sized" bar-bell eyes, don't think there is the need for them.
          As what you must think about, the rivers i will be fishing them in South Wales. are a long way from the size of the rivers you are talking about,

Watching the DVD Skagit masters with Ed Ward, the rivers he was fishing had huge flows and deep. and the Intruders they were using, needed these lead eyes and heavy tips to get the fly down.

On the river Towy / Neath / Tawe, and the Usk the largest of the four. i can get away with using a 10ft /15ft T8, and get the fly down touching bottom with out a problem. but will say i have just ordered some more tips, for the coming season in 10' & 15'= T8 / T11 & T14:@ just to try getting them down faster.

Dai.
          Last edited by daijones; 18-01-2011, 15:43.

Comment

Working...
          X