easy to tie sewin flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy to tie sewin flies

Hi all,with the long close season ahead i thought id try my hand at fly tying but im not sure where to start? Could anyone recomend 3or4 patterns that would b suitable for a novice like myself? Thanks in advance fordfly

Hi FF, What river are you fishing?

A few easy patterns below,

Teal blue silver,
    Black stoat,
    Silver stoat,

Three good patterns above, that will fish on all rivers. plus you can play about with the dressings, and size of your ties.

Teal blue and silver, you can change to using nat squirrel as the wing. then you have squirrel blue silver, great fly in its own right.

Sure there will be, more patterns from other members. but the above patterns are very easy to tie,

Dai.
    Any Day with a Y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree with dai, but I would definitely use squirrel instead of teal in the TB&S. Can be tricky for beginners...

How about the most simple and probably deadly of all; silver aluminium tube of whatever length (1-2 inches usually). Tie a black hairwing evenly all the way round the tube at the head, maybe add some flash in the wing. Done!!!

For single/double hooks any variation of silver body, black hairwing, with a throat hackle of any colour are as good as it gets IMO (silver stoat variants)
      Last edited by T7; 27-10-2010, 10:47.

Comment

Hi dai +T7 thanks for youre replies i fish the tawe in swansea but i would like to try further afield this season also! I had a bit of success on a fly last season that was i guess a varient of the t,b.s it had a very soft hair wing? Lost that in a tree so be good to have a few in different sizes etc wot hooks would you recomend for singls and doubles? Thanks again fordfly

Comment

FF, I tend to use a lot of partridge sala hooks, and wilson low water.

Plus did start using last season, Daiichi Alec Jackson hooks. model 2052, and have to say really like these hook.

Dai.
          Any Day with a Y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi dai thanks for the reply i will check out those hooks a few of the flies that ive bought have got salars they definatly look the part! Thanks again fordfly

Comment

Indeed they are.

Originally posted by fordfly View Post
              Hi dai thanks for the reply i will check out those hooks a few of the flies that ive bought have got salars they defiantly look the part! Thanks again fordfly
              Love the Salar hooks, especially the doubles, especially in Silver or Gold .. but (here anyway) they are expensive as Hell. A single hook (if you can find them in the US~#) will run you at least $1.85 each. The 'good news' is .. a fish touches one of those, you've got him. Period.

fae

Comment

Good advice all round here, but i have one more thing to add. Fly Tying does not come easily to me (although i do love it and my flies wont win prizes but over the years the fish don't mind), have a look on you tube. There are lots of films of people tying specific flies and using different materials. It was how i learnt to use Deer Hair and Cul de Carnard properly. Hope this helps.
                Tight Lines
                Aled

Comment

Thanks for the advice aled ive found a few paterns that i'll be attempting{; hopefully by the time nxt season comes round i'll have some flies that the sewin and salmon won't laugh at:> thanx again for all the advice fordfly

Comment

Stick some pics up Fordfly - we would like to see how you get on...

Comment

Will do T7 hopefully i'll get a chance to tie a few over the next couple of weeks!

Comment

Working...
                      X