super glues/ varnishes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super glues/ varnishes

I notice some of you guys use superglue or varnish on bodies,do you get problems with damp whitening glue,know it shouldnt happen with waterproof s/glues,but i have one that shows white even as it is drying and its sold as w/proof for tying,what is the best in your'e opinions,.or are am i doing something wrong
    Thanks John

Hi allypally

I don't use super glue when I'm tying flies, I just use varnish or Sally Hansens hard as nailsto help prolong the life of my flies. ( you can usually get this free from the wifes make up bag ) The trick is to put a thin coat on at a time and give it time to dry before adding another coating.

Cheers
    Dave

Comment

Hi used the hard as nails for years, 3 to four thin coats ,or 1st coat the thick gloopy stuff thats on its way out then final coats with thin fresh ,by the way the wife and daughter usually get it out my flytying cabinet as i am always buying it in asda
      the hard as nails is great
      giving loon hard head a try the now,just started using so not decided yet,incidently had bit of danish blue on cracker last night ,then went back to tying managed to get we bit on thread,never noticed till coated with varnish.looking and saying whats that light bit
      Isuppose the main problem is with superglues which i dont really like just wondering if there are any tips there
      Last edited by allypally; 30-08-2010, 19:23.

Comment

Hi John,

I had the same problem with the fullin mill superglue, which I almost exclusively nowadays to finish the heads of my flies with - or certainly the fishing flies, which one coat will do.

I know exactly what you are talking about and did have the same problem a couple of times. I found the problem arose when you tried to blow the glue dry, the cold air would turn it white. Just left to dry naturally I would never get the problem.

So, you may either be blowing it dry, or perhaps tying in a cold or windy environment?! :>

TT.

Comment

Here tt we have got some warm weather up here just now,and no wind.
          funny exact same glue,maybee my flies are getting my adrenilin going. and i am doing a bit of heavy breathing on them without knowing.
          will try some experiments blow on, not blow on
          Last edited by allypally; 31-08-2010, 22:40.

Comment

Working...
          X