New Toy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toy

The other week i spoiled myself, by buying a Sage Z-AXIS 11foot switch rod blank.

I was going to get my mate to build it, but he told me could not start it till the end of September::. wanted to get a few sewin on it before the end of the season, so thought i would have a go at it myself~# have not built a rod for about 30 years so was a bit worried i might mess it up. but think it came out fine, whats your thought guys.

Full rod.

Handle.

Lower butt section.

Upper butt section.

As i said, it is my first build for many years. butt i am happy the way it turned out, now i need to get a few fish on it. soon as the river is fish able,

Can see me building a Sage 10 foot 5# for the grayling next.

Dai.
    Any Day with a Y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.com/

Ring spacing looks effective & even. Whipping & finishing looks a diamond job.

Only thing now is to test it out give us some feedback on the rod action.

Who knows, you may be building one for one of us on here.

Nice job.

Jon

Comment

Blymin 'eck Dai, that is a fantasic piece of work!!! :}

Cracking looking rod, credit where credit's due.

I'd be carrying hand wipes around with me if that was mine, to make sure that I didn't get the handles dirty!!! :>

Top notch, seriously.

TT.

Comment

Cheers guys, Thanks for your comments, the more i look at it the more happy i am with it.

As i said have not built a rod for over 30 years, but will say i had a lot of practice as i had my own rod building company in the 70s/80s. till i went abroad to live,

Dr Jon, will let you know how it works, did have the ring spacing of the sage site. and used a medium build epoxy on the rings, looks better then the heavy build epoxy. and did try and get the whipping as close to a factory built rod,

just ordered a rod bag and tube for it this morning, to keep it safe:>

Dai.

Comment

That is nice work,have been contemplating myself for winter projects a 10ft 7/8 for single hand speycasting,although use a similar sized hardy ultralite with ddc tips s/h/shootinghead, and a 14ft d/hand rod project,
          Only thing puts me off is from attempts years gone buy struggled to get that impecable finnish,got old rods in cupboard to practice on first
          But as said that is a lovely lovely piece of work congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Dr jon View Post
            Ring spacing looks effective & even. Whipping & finishing looks a diamond job.

Only thing now is to test it out give us some feedback on the rod action.

Who knows, you may be building one for one of us on here.

Nice job.

Jon
            Hi Jon, Can make a few comments on this rod now, have to say it is a very easy rod to use and casts like dream.

Fishing wise, A dream again and handles fish very well. as you can see by the river reports on the Towy, it handled all fish well.

The salmon did give me a bit of a run around:>:>

Dai

Comment

Originally posted by allypally View Post
              That is nice work,have been contemplating myself for winter projects a 10ft 7/8 for single hand speycasting,although use a similar sized hardy ultralite with ddc tips s/h/shootinghead, and a 14ft d/hand rod project,
              Only thing puts me off is from attempts years gone buy struggled to get that impecable finnish,got old rods in cupboard to practice on first
              But as said that is a lovely lovely piece of work congrats
              John, All it is is practice, as i have said. have built a lot of rods in the past,

I have just ordered a new blank this week, not many out yet only in the states. the new Sage TCX 8119-4, it's a stepped up rod of the one i just build. like you i got these for single hand spey work, but with the switch handle you can switch to double hand use if need be.

And picking up a new line this week, the Rio 7/8# AFS system line. more money again~#

Dai

Comment

Dai it always is more money but its for the cause
                thinking more and more on this now
                Admire the rods with all the extras and custom stuff,but mines would be different
                finest cork skeleton screw silver reel seat with cork insert,nickel winding check,butt cap tipped with the modern rubberized cork,lightest hardest snakes,tip,plus lightest hardest strippers
                windings plain same colour as blank pref black grey or green,with deep hard luxurious finnish,only the basic guide and strengthening windings
                totally understated doesnt get a second lookat in car park,aprt from build quality but when you cast and fish with,the dark horse comes through

Dont get me wrong i love the work like Dai has done and others, i am just one of those who likes the understated for myself

Comment

John, Understand the way you like your rod's to look,

I am the same, don't like my rod's to stand out:>:>

Dai

Comment

Hi Dai,

I missed this, very nice.

How did you apply the resin to the rings?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by springwell View Post
                      Hi Dai,

I missed this, very nice.

How did you apply the resin to the rings?

Bill
                      Hi Bill, Glad you like the rod, as regards the the whipping. i use a brush and use my fly tying drying wheel. which has a rod drying unit on it, and keeps rod turning leveling resin till resin is dry.

Dai.

Comment

Working...
                      X