Spinners/Rapalas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinners/Rapalas!

Been using the same spinning setup for the last 16 years. Shakespeare Onset Rod,9ft 8-30grams and an Abu Cardinal 84 Reel. Both absolutely bombproof. Used it for pike,salmon,bass,trout and few other species. Usual lures are Flying C's, Aglia long, Vibrax and Toby's but recently got given a few Rapala's. They are great!!!! Just want to know what colours and models are working for people. I have had luck with countdown and x-rap, in the more ordinary colours. How effectove are the fluoro coloured ones? They look like tropical fish to me! Tim.

Countdowns for me, always the brown trout version and change the size to the amount of water. Catches more salmon than sewin for me.

Comment

The Countdown hot tiger hot steel and the fire tiger from 7-11cm do really well in coloured water down on the lower Towy + Teifi.|\

Comment

To be honest when the water is high and coloured I tend to then head for flying c's, leaving the rapalas for when it drops back a bit.

Having said that, the fire tiger can be very effective, as can the clown (if you can find them), husky jerk in silver/blue and the carrot.

TT.

Comment

Rapala's are great, they catch me most of my bass but the catch me all of my salmon and sometimes sewin. The best colour i've found for me is the orange 7 cm countdown, works everytime. If the water is very dirty just go up a size. Don't be affraid to use a 11 or 13cm floating rapala, they love them. Hope this helps,

Mat.

Comment

Thanks guys! Looks I should go and get a few of them in all shapes sizes and colours for the right conditions. Makes sense for the bright ones to work in darker water. Diolch, Tim.

Comment

I think that it's exactly that Tim. A bit like a fly selection; mixture of sizes, weights, colours etc.

Good luck with it all.

TT.

Comment

Hi all...dont forget the humble Canadian Wiggler still a great fish catcher.
                cheers Glyn

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn View Post
                  Hi all...dont forget the humble Canadian Wiggler still a great fish catcher.
                  cheers Glyn
                  I thought the Canadian Wiggler was long exstinct, haven't used one or seen one, if it comes to that, for years.
                  Cap

Comment

lol... no they are still going strong I went back to using them last season, I had a nice salmon over the week end on them and lost a stupidly big fish on the same day couldnt stop the run downstream and it opened an upgraded vmc treble and came off, same thing happened last season on the same wiggler in the same spot talk about bad luck that headed back to sea like this one. They are more or less half the price of a Rapala and just as good in my opinion I had quite a few good salmon on them when I used to fish the Towy and fish were about.

I get mine from http://jac-y-do.co.uk/ in Llanybydder, Carmarthenshire.
                    cheers Glyn

Comment

Working...
                    X