Sea trout setup!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea trout setup!

Need some reel advice please! My rod is a 9ft6 8wt. I need to get a new reel but have been out of the buying game for a number of years and was just wondering what companies were worth investing in these days. I am not a gear snob by any means but I do like things that work and can take the everyday rigours that they were designed for. I have been told that the Greys GRXI plus are good, as too are the Hardy reels, but they should be for their money! Any info and advice much appreciated. Diolch, Tim.

Scierra xdp is a hell of a reel for the money. I also have a vision gt which is great as well but a bit more money. For sea trout I use vision komas - perform well and cheap spools

Comment

Have been told that the Vision Koma plus is worth a look but the drag can be a bit tempremental and the spools are a bit fragile. They look great though!

Comment

I have heard the same. Mine have been fine though. Personally I'd go for the Scierra. £110 is a steal...

Comment

If you can lay your hands on a System 2 you will not regret it, almost bullet proof. I use the 8/9 for sewin and light salmon work and I have a 10/11 for all my spring and back end fishing.
          They sometimes come up on ebay.

Comment

Okuma Airframes, less that £30, spare spools about a fiver.

I've got two, use and abuse them for everything and they have a silent retrieve. No problems in the salt as they are a type of carbon.

The 8wt is a bit of a lump, but the 6wt is quite nice.

Had mine for years and can't break them

They do what it says on the label.|\

Bill

Comment

Great recommendations above for you to be honest TGE, and have heard lots of positive feedback for the Komas.

Have bought a couple of these for mates, and find them fantastic value for money:

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly...el/40/no/44207

And in the same sort of line:

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly...el/40/no/44270

Both come with some 4 spare spools, and further spools can be purchased very cheaply.

TT.

Comment

Got myself a reel! Was more or less given to me! Now for lines! What is everyone here using? So much choice! I was thinking of going float and intermediate. Let me know what you reccomend! Diolch, Tim

Comment

Where are you fishing Tim? Towy? or some of the smaller rivers? this may determine the advice etc.

To be honest I would look no further than the airflo 40+ extreme lines if you're on the Towy. They make light work of a large(ish) river like the Towy. Get the floater and the fast intermediate and this should cover your bases.

With a #8 rod I would just get the #8 line, they would be well matched.

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly...ne/40/no/44437

You can usually find some good deals knocking around on them.

Another great line is the sewincaster inter tip:

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly...s/40/yes/49208

TT.

Comment

I had a good deal on a Cortland 444 Floater and it seems to be doing the job rather well! Getting my fly collection back up to scratch now. Again,any reccomendations???? Diolch, Tim.

Comment

Hi Tim,

you usually find and it wise to over-rate the cortland lines by 1 line weight, especially when using them specifically as river lines or sea-trout lines. The cortland ghost-tip is a wonderful line, as are most of the 444 range to be honest, but again best over-rated by one line weight.

As for flies, probably best to start with the flies section of the forum where I'm sure you will see some interesting patterns the take it from there.

TT.

Comment

Working...
                      X