Topping up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping up

This last week i have been topping up my boxes, been i bit hard as i have had loads of orders in this last six months.

What makes you think i like Black/silver~:.

And i like my snake flies.

A few jambo's.

Secret weapons.

Some brass and ally tubes.

Some waddingtons.

Alexander, just love this one, have tied on tubes/singles/waddingtons and snakes. it just a pattern that works for me.

Hope you like them guys,

Dai
    Any Day with a Y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.com/

Very Cool ..... So when arn't they?

Your big 'surface skaters' above could be a grand tie for late Summer run Steelhead (take a pee before you do this, or you will in your pants with the 'take.' Trust me on that one!!)

But, could you try a couple of these on single hooks, or ones with a 'single point' trailer? Ask as treb's are far too frequently 'illegal' (in 'fly only waters) here in the US. One of the most famous is the Waller Walker.

Fred

Edit: The photo isn't the best, but the thread will give you a history of the fly.
    http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=16675

Ah, here's another version of same:
    http://www.caddisflyshop.com/waller-walker.html
    Last edited by fredaevans; 25-06-2010, 23:44.

Comment

Very tempting !!

Dai J,
      You"re trying to tempt me again with your usual top hole flies but as I havent used any of the ones I bought from you about 3 weeks ago I"ll leave it this time:>
      Tied up a couple of small tubes today (3/4") long in various permutations of red,black, blue on a silver aluminium tube cut to size for use in these low water conditions.If they dont work I"ll throw a brick @ them
      Nice ties again , Dai & that Alexandra looks a peach ~:.
      All the best,

Y ddolgam (Dyfed.....Loughor )

Comment

Cracking lookin flies there.|\
        Tight Lines
        Aled

Comment

Originally posted by fredaevans View Post
          Your big 'surface skaters' above could be a grand tie for late Summer run Steelhead (take a pee before you do this, or you will in your pants with the 'take.' Trust me on that one!!)

But, could you try a couple of these on single hooks, or ones with a 'single point' trailer? Ask as treb's are far too frequently 'illegal' (in 'fly only waters) here in the US. One of the most famous is the Waller Walker.

Fred

Edit: The photo isn't the best, but the thread will give you a history of the fly.
          http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=16675

Ah, here's another version of same:
          http://www.caddisflyshop.com/waller-walker.html
          Hi Fred, Thank you for your comments,

Now what you are saying about the takes you get, i really like fishing the wake fly. it can be great fun, i also use one on a single hook. when i tie up a new batch of them will post them,

Dai

Comment

Originally posted by daijones View Post
            Nice one Dai, thanks for posting and thanks for sharing. I particularly like the body on this one; the holographic ribbed over the holographic. Interesting and good structure. Nice one.

Be good,

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Y ddolgam View Post
              Dai J,
              You"re trying to tempt me again with your usual top hole flies but as I havent used any of the ones I bought from you about 3 weeks ago I"ll leave it this time:>
              Tied up a couple of small tubes today (3/4") long in various permutations of red,black, blue on a silver aluminium tube cut to size for use in these low water conditions.If they dont work I"ll throw a brick @ them
              Nice ties again , Dai & that Alexandra looks a peach ~:.
              All the best,

Y ddolgam (Dyfed.....Loughor )
              Hi Dyfed, Thank you also for your comments, know what you are saying about small flies for this low water.

It hard work is it not, i have not been out much (twice) on the rivers because of the low water. had one last Thursday night about a 1lb and lost a better fish,

But been doing well on the bass, not had any big fish yet. best just under 6lb but on a fly.

Glad you like the Alexander, i like that pattern and fishes well for me.

Dai

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
                Cracking lookin flies there.|\
                Tight Lines
                Aled
                Cheers Aled.

Dai

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                  Nice one Dai, thanks for posting and thanks for sharing. I particularly like the body on this one; the holographic ribbed over the holographic. Interesting and good structure. Nice one.

Be good,

TT.
                  Cheers TT, Thanks for your comments.

Dai,( i am always good):>

Comment

Howdy Dai,
                    Hope you"re well.Yep, these are dog days though TT says somewhere on this forum that things are beginning to pick up...I & all hope so :}
                    Went out about 2 weeks ago on the Tywi & the mist came down about half an hour after dark.I waited ,waited & waited some more & it didnt shift....so I came home.
                    However I plan to go out tonite as the air temp is supposed to stay up...lets hope so !
                    I thought you"d be into the bass & anything around the 6 mark is a solid fish esp. on the fly :?
                    Will report back to you on the Loughor estuary situation when I have details from "reliable" sources.Walked it once & could not see the tell tale signs of poachers but saw some cracking flounder imprints.....up to 19"
                    However the river is at its lowest since 1984 (in my opinion) as markers have appeared which I havent seen since then !
                    Ciao ,
                    Dyfed

Comment

Howdy Dai,
                      Hope you"re well.Yep, these are dog days though TT says somewhere on this forum that things are beginning to pick up...I & all hope so :}
                      Went out about 2 weeks ago on the Tywi & the mist came down about half an hour after dark.I waited ,waited & waited some more & it didnt shift....so I came home.
                      However I plan to go out tonite as the air temp is supposed to stay up...lets hope so !
                      I thought you"d be into the bass & anything around the 6 mark is a solid fish esp. on the fly :?
                      Will report back to you on the Loughor estuary situation when I have details from "reliable" sources.Walked it once & could not see the tell tale signs of poachers but saw some cracking flounder imprints.....up to 19"
                      However the river is at its lowest since 1984 (in my opinion) as markers have appeared which I havent seen since then !
                      Ciao ,
                      Dyfed
                      Hi Dyfed, Fine on the loughor, i have not been down to have a go as yet. but will be doing soon, fine on those big flounder marks have seen some fine flounder caught in the past. my best out of there is 3lb 8oz and have to say like these more than any other flatfish to eat,

The 6lb bass i had was in cracking condition, had it off a new make on a size 6 shrimp pattern also had 6 others up to 4lb. so was very happy the way the new mark fished,

Only been out twice for Sewin, had one and dropped two. but the water is up so will start getting out all the time now, think this water will bring in a lot of fish into the rivers|\

Speak soon.

Dai

Comment

Hiya Dai,
                        Sorry I didnt get back earlier on this one but the latest I have on the Loughor is that some decent bass have been caught on the spinner but a lot of small stuff was caught last week ....& probably kept !!
                        As for the flounders, the marks I saw were only in the dozens not the hundreds as they were 15-20 years ago .The competitions have ruined the river! Last year from early autumn right into the cold winter there were 9 competitions that I know of & its been like that for some time now.Its no wonder you cant nip down now for an hour or so & pick up 3 or 4 nice ones....its a helluva job to get ONE:}
                        I agree with you they are a gorgeous fish to eat & one of my faves as well !!!
                        Where the hell did you get that 3lb 8oz one....I"ve only ever seen one on 3lb & that came off a trawler though I have heard from time to time about some right hogs ,very occasionally, being caught around Burry Port & the Slags.
                        Sounds like you"ve sorted yourself a cracking mark for quality bass.
                        Be in touch soon,
                        Ciao Dyfed

Comment

Hiya Dai,
                          Sorry I didnt get back earlier on this one but the latest I have on the Loughor is that some decent bass have been caught on the spinner but a lot of small stuff was caught last week ....& probably kept !!
                          As for the flounders, the marks I saw were only in the dozens not the hundreds as they were 15-20 years ago .The competitions have ruined the river! Last year from early autumn right into the cold winter there were 9 competitions that I know of & its been like that for some time now.Its no wonder you cant nip down now for an hour or so & pick up 3 or 4 nice ones....its a helluva job to get ONE:}
                          I agree with you they are a gorgeous fish to eat & one of my faves as well !!!
                          Where the hell did you get that 3lb 8oz one....I"ve only ever seen one on 3lb & that came off a trawler though I have heard from time to time about some right hogs ,very occasionally, being caught around Burry Port & the Slags.
                          Sounds like you"ve sorted yourself a cracking mark for quality bass.
                          Be in touch soon,
                          Ciao Dyfed
                          Hi Dyfed, You got the area in one mate, had that flounder off the slags on crab. but have not fished for many years. after my mate was washed off and died on the mark, also have had some stunning bass catches off there in the past. it was off there over 40 years ago i had my first bass on a fly there.

Speak soon, Dai.

Comment

Hiya Dai,
                            If anything the Slags are more dangerous now with the amount of sand in the estuary & its difficult to reach even on a mid tide without a full wet suit Sod that for a game of snowballs ! I do remember that tradegy & though a long time ago you never ,ever forget do you ?
                            In May 1982 I got washed off Burry Holms to the left of the "Knifedge" facing Worms Head.....all I was doing was rebaiting with peeler when probably the 7th wave,or so, slammed into the forewall & exactly where I was standing a lot of the water jetted out from a fissure in the rocks ,hit me behind the knees/thighs & I was catapulted into the drink!It was blowing force 5-6,gusting 7 SW & for some reason I swam away from the rocks.I was very ,very lucky as I knew of 2 long "steps" down into the water & all I needed to do was let the rollers take me to the nearest one & I then hung on, in & out of the water, I then got help from a mate & another guy so bit by bit I made it back.I lost all my tackle,rod,reel etc.,rainjacket,pullover which I was wearing{;{;{;
                            I knew I"d hurt my back & when I got home the old man called the family doc. who diagnosed 3 broken ribs !!!!!!!!!! God,was I lucky
                            Sorry to rabbit on, Dai, but if anybody else fishes these headlands & reads this , wherever you fish , BE BLOODY CAREFUL !!!!! I was vvvvvvv LUCKY
                            Best year ever on the slags Dai........1976, incredible year !! (THE hot summer).
                            Be in touch
                            Dyfed

Comment

Working...
                            X