X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invasive species on the Towy

Spotted on another forum - bad news!-

June 2010

C.R.T. alerts Environment Agency Wales of presence of invasive Signal Crayfish in Tywi tributary!

For more information go to our website:

http://carmsriverstrust.com/News.aspx

Bri
    www.goldengrovecottages.com
    www.carmsriverstrust.org

That's not good news!! Let's hope they can be stopped before they spread like wildfire....

On another note I'd like to congratulate the CRT on their fantastic site and for the fantastic work they undertake on our behalf and for our benefit. There are a lot of talkers in this world, but very few walkers, so good on you gents.

If anyone in the Towy catchment or even further afiled has time to spare to a worthy cause and would like to put something back into your local environment then here is your opportunity. I'm sure that the trust would appreciate any input you can provide.

TT.

Comment

Once these 'critters' get into a river system ..

how do you get them out? A poison of some sort comes to mind, but that's damned tough to do with moving water.

Fred

Comment

I fear that its going to be a major battle to control or eradicate these,if a short look found six there will be a big population.
        been watching them on "my" bit of the Kennet for six seven years ,Nigel the owner there has been trapping them for that time and has finally noticed a slight decline,however they have burrowed under banks causing bank collapse,also they prey on many fly juveniles especially cased caddis ,hatches have declined ,except for the mayfly which still seems very healthy.
        the only plus about them is they eat well .
        get out there and kill the buggers !

Comment

Bad news indeed. I thought that they preferred only alkaline streams and therefore many (not all) of our waters in West-Wales would not represent good haitats for them, is this true or am I mistaken?

Their good eating qualities is a double edged sword as I has heard some non-environmentally savvy gastronomes lamenting the absence of signals in their local streams which could lead to deliberate introduction.

Sam

Comment

Working...
          X