Rogue River in Southern Oregon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue River in Southern Oregon.

Well the winter steelhead season is all but behind us here in Oregon. Odd year as to how it went. The 'Season' usually runs from December to the end of April, but this year almost zero in the way of fish into the upper river (157 miles from the Pacific to Wm Jess Dam) until the end of February. By the later part of March we only had 5,300 fish through the counter so it looked like this season would be a 'disaster.'

Then came April!!|\ And boy oh boy did those Babies come in numbers. Fish were going through the counter at a rate of about 1,000 per week. Final count (as of May 1) was 11,000 plus. As the only counter on the entire Rogue system is at (roughly) river mile 120 none of the fish that went into major feeder streams or other rivers must have also been pretty darned good.

What worked (fly wise) for me? Your Atlantic Salmon patterns such as the Cascade (red/orange on a double hook), the flamethrower and to a small degree, the Alley Shrimp. The above accounted for at least 80% of the fish I hooked this 'winter.' Which it still is around here; snowed several times last week and bottomed out just above freezing again this morning.

Sooner or later 'Spring has Sprung' has got to happen in the Rogue Valley. ::/

Great report, thanks for sharing that Fred. I have never fished for steelhead, and they are certainly on my hit list. I am, however, hoping to have April Vokey as my guide - instead I get stuck with PhilRich and Twm-Twm as guides!!!!!

http://gonefishinclub.com/wp-content...okey-trout.jpg

TT.

Comment

Ay yes ... Ms.Vokey.

(:,

Items two on that: You'll be fishing British Columbia AND in the summer. Trust me, she doesn't ware clothing like that in December.:?

Next run of fish (Spring King Salmon) are now showing in good numbers in the lower Rogue River, but these buggers are a tough sell with a fly rod (2-hander) by time they get here in the upper river. That said, with a full sinking line and long leader you can get their attention on occasion. Hell of a hoot if you've got 25'ish pounds of really 'pissed off' fish in fast moving water.

Where I usually fish for them there's little in the way of beach to chase a hot fish so it's pretty much a 'stand and fight' type of deal. Only time of the year I'll actually run 15# Maxima (main line) for leader material. Anything less than that and you're just kidding yourself. It isn't going to happen: PING!

fae

Comment

Great report - thanks for sharing with us.

I have been dreaming of fishing for steel head for the past couple of years now - it is something that I must do. Been offered to join in with a group of Guys from Alberta, Canada to go to the Skeena system this coming September - cant find enough brass to cough up at the moment.

I would find the cash if April Vokey was involved though |\
        Thats another dream though!

Why this fishing game is so expensive eh?
        Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

Sigh, sigh, sigh .. in reverse order. :&gt And a 'all in?'

Originally posted by Leighton View Post
          Great report - thanks for sharing with us.

I have been dreaming of fishing for steel head for the past couple of years now - it is something that I must do. Been offered to join in with a group of Guys from Alberta, Canada to go to the Skeena system this coming September - cant find enough brass to cough up at the moment.

I would find the cash if April Vokey was involved though |\
          Thats another dream though!

Why this fishing game is so expensive eh?
          Trust me, April's already 'spoken for.' Do you really think a gal that looks .. never mind. .. is still running free in the Wilds of British Columbia?::

But, back on topic. That time of the year in BC is a 'chase Pacific Salmon' deal; doubt there are many Steelhead in the rivers. But register in to the SpeyPages web board and run that question by the fellows as many are BC residents; they can give you 'the word' on that.

BUT!:} A second alternative. That time of the year is the top end of summer run Steelhead here in Oregon. Get your 'butt' over here and buy your license (about $133 USD for the year/less for a week .. but you'll be staying longer) and you're 'all in' with me. We'll fish the hell out of the Rogue and head up for several day (you're time frame as I'm retired and nothing on my 'Dance Card') on the North Umpqua. There, you'll really find out how good a fisherman you really are. Running joke (and it's true) is the first time you walk up to the NU, toss yourself in and get your first dunking of the day out of the way. But not to worry, I've long since learned to 'wade wet' with a set of heavy socks, wading boots and a swim suit. The rest you leave on the beach. (No, no one steals anything here in So. Oregon; it's just not done.)

Not a real deal as the air temps will be in the high 70's to low 80's so it's a 'free bath' that you need anyway.::/ No kidding ...

Let me know, as I'd love to be your Host (or anyone else's) for as long as you'd like. Life is good when your 'retired,' have too many rods (and two fuzzy puppies), a 38' motor home and time to spare.
          :>)

Fred Evans
          Ashland, soon to be 'White City,' Oregon

(Add US area code from your side of the Pond?) 541 944 0404

Only make the above 'change' as the new digs, in a few days, are 6-7 minutes from the river vs 35-40? A good thing.:?

fae
          Last edited by fredaevans; 06-05-2010, 01:57.

Comment

Originally posted by fredaevans View Post
            Trust me, April's already 'spoken for.' Do you really think a gal that looks .. never mind. .. is still running free in the Wilds of British Columbia?::

But, back on topic. That time of the year in BC is a 'chase Pacific Salmon' deal; doubt there are many Steelhead in the rivers. But register in to the SpeyPages web board and run that question by the fellows as many are BC residents; they can give you 'the word' on that.

BUT!:} A second alternative. That time of the year is the top end of summer run Steelhead here in Oregon. Get your 'butt' over here and buy your license (about $133 USD for the year/less for a week .. but you'll be staying longer) and you're 'all in' with me. We'll fish the hell out of the Rogue and head up for several day (you're time frame as I'm retired and nothing on my 'Dance Card') on the North Umpqua. There, you'll really find out how good a fisherman you really are. Running joke (and it's true) is the first time you walk up to the NU, toss yourself in and get your first dunking of the day out of the way. But not to worry, I've long since learned to 'wade wet' with a set of heavy socks, wading boots and a swim suit. The rest you leave on the beach. (No, no one steals anything here in So. Oregon; it's just not done.)

Not a real deal as the air temps will be in the high 70's to low 80's so it's a 'free bath' that you need anyway.::/ No kidding ...

Let me know, as I'd love to be your Host (or anyone else's) for as long as you'd like. Life is good when your 'retired,' have too many rods (and two fuzzy puppies), a 38' motor home and time to spare.
            :>)

Fred Evans
            Ashland, soon to be 'White City,' Oregon

(Add US area code from your side of the Pond?) 541 944 0404

Only make the above 'change' as the new digs, in a few days, are 6-7 minutes from the river vs 35-40? A good thing.:?

fae
            Aye, April is taken for as you say, would not expect such a fine specimen to be single would you? what a fishing buddy though!

Wow.....thats some kind offer you just made there, you will be over run by enquiries! I shall look into it for sure, sounds an ideal trip.
            Do you have big runs of Steelhead then?

The only reason why I'm focused on the Skeena is that I was sent some fishing magazines some years ago form the missus family out in Alberta - there was an article in there about the Skeena & I just got exited about it and looked into it wanting to go! then a friend of the "family" out in Alberta has gone for the last 2 years to the Skeena which I have been invited too & have not been able to go!!

There could a "forum" trip coming on here! |\

Thanks again for that, something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Leighton View Post
              Aye, April is taken for as you say, would not expect such a fine specimen to be single would you? what a fishing buddy though!

Wow.....thats some kind offer you just made there, you will be over run by enquiries! I shall look into it for sure, sounds an ideal trip.

The only reason why I'm focused on the Skeena is that I was sent some fishing magazines some years ago form the missus family out in Alberta - there was an article in there about the Skeena & I just got exited about it and looked into it wanting to go! then a friend of the "family" out in Alberta has gone for the last 2 years to the Skeena which I have been invited too & have not been able to go!!

There could a "forum" trip coming on here! |\

Thanks again for that, something to consider.
              Will you and fred stop talking about the Steelheading, it's making my stomach churn.
              Couldn't make it over to Terrace and Kitimat this year for the April fishing, which in my opinion is the best Steelheading.
              Will have to meet up and sort out a trip Leighton.
              Fred, good report, wish I was there.
              Kitimat and Kalum rivers have been very low by all accounts with few fish, but a couple of friends from down frisco way had some nice fish up there.
              Cap.

Comment

Originally posted by steelheadnut View Post
                Will you and fred stop talking about the Steelheading, it's making my stomach churn.
                Couldn't make it over to Terrace and Kitimat this year for the April fishing, which in my opinion is the best Steelheading.
                Will have to meet up and sort out a trip Leighton.
                Fred, good report, wish I was there.
                Kitimat and Kalum rivers have been very low by all accounts with few fish, but a couple of friends from down frisco way had some nice fish up there.
                Cap.
                Oops sorry Cap!!!
                Nice to hear from you and see you back on line.

The fact that I cant quite manage to join up with my mate in Alberta in September for that Skeena trip is making my stomach churn too! I would love to get there.....It would be good if we could get something sorted - may be next year? Do you prefer the April or October trip?

Good to hear from you, hope that you are keeping well & that you have a good season on the Teifi.

Cofion,
                Leigthon.

Comment

It gets 'worse' SHN, much worse.

Originally posted by steelheadnut View Post

Cap.
                  Bad, bad news for you Cap.:::#

Just got the latest fish count numbers (actual count, not an estimate), in the past 30'ish days we've had over 7,000 (no, that's not a miss-print) cross into the upper 30 miles of river. And the Bugger's are still coming at a rate of about 100/day.

I'm taking tomorrow off from packing and hitting the river.

And as for the invitation, that's real and alive to anyone. Only 'rule' is visitor at my home, or in the motor home, have to put a 'favorite fly' either on the 'cork board' or in the material over the MH's front door. You'll find a few hundred have collected over the years. Each one a very good memory if it be for a single day, or for a week.

Fred

Edit: Ugg, forgot to respond to this:
                  "Wow.....thats some kind offer you just made there, you will be over run by inquiries! I shall look into it for sure, sounds an ideal trip.

The only reason why I'm focused on the Skeena is that I was sent some fishing magazines some years ago form the missus family out in Alberta - there was an article in there about the Skeena & I just got exited about it and looked into it wanting to go! then a friend of the "family" out in Alberta has gone for the last 2 years to the Skeena which I have been invited too & have not been able to go!!"

Before you go 'bucks up' on a trip to British Columbia really check with the locals. The BC Government has really clamped down of 'foreign fishermen' on their rivers (access, when, where, gear, increased cost, etc.). Their 'description' of a 'foreigner' is anyone whose not a resident of BC. The local's up in the Terrace/Spencer's Bridge area up up in arm as 'tourism' is their big ticket local income. And that plug is being pulled ... big time.

Here on the Rogue, North Umpqua, etc., late August through early October is the height of our summer run Steelhead season. Winter runs is a late January til mid April thing ... although thats proving out to be not so correct this season.
                  fae
                  Last edited by fredaevans; 06-05-2010, 22:59. Reason: Ugg, can' spell worth crap today.

Comment

Three on the beach this AM/PM .. but all Natives.

Nuts, no fish dinner tonight as all of them are back in the river to 'do their thing.' Reg's say you can keep five, but not a chance in hell on my 'punch card.'

fae

Forgot to add: Ton of hookups with trooots (:>)), couldn't keep the damed things from attacking my flies. 10-14 inches each, but on a 7wt spey ... a no contest.
                    Last edited by fredaevans; 08-05-2010, 03:00.

Comment

And 'they' just keep coming, and coming, and coming!

The pits is I'm in the middle of relocating from Ashland, Oregon to White City, about 25 miles away and all the 'packing up' is eating time like even I couldn't believe.

As to numbers of winter Steelhead ... we're now at 14,000 fish and counting. And I get to sit on my axx and pack boxes.

IS THERE NO JUSTICE IN THIS WORLD!!???::::::~#:::::@{;::/::/

FAE

Comment

Rogue's finally dropping back into 'shape' for fly rod fishing.

River's been running too high for most fly fishing, has gone back to 'gin clear' and dropping. Which is a GOOD THING as we're up to our ears in Spring run King Salmon. Here's the river flow chart for Gold Ray (see below); you can see how fast the river is dropping.
                        http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?14359000

These fellows (as are our Steelhead) tend to be 'bottom huggers' so you've got to get right down on the bottom and stay there if you're going to have a chance in heck of hooking one. New extra fast Scandi head set up coming for my 9wt (2-hander) that should improve my odds.

Up to this point I've been using a couple of 15' 10wt's with full sinking lines. Effective, but damned tiring to work with over long periods.

Fred

Here's our fish counts: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/fish...ld_ray_dam.asp

Only counter station on the Rogue River is at Gold Ray dam (about 6 miles from me). The counter is 30 miles down stream from the Wm. Jess dam so it's not too hard to 'find them' if you go looking (especially if you're floating the river).

fae
                        Last edited by fredaevans; 12-06-2010, 16:07.

Comment

Current report from my small corner of the World.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/southwest/

Comment

Working...
                          X