Your killer Teifi flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your killer Teifi flies

I was having a rummage through Pandora's box last night (you know, the one where only hope is left) with a view to a bit of a restock for the forthcoming trip in early June. You can never have too many can you? I have a fair selection of the usual suspects in singles and wee doubles in a range of sizes. I was just wondering if the experts on here had any favourites that they would recommend.........day or night. I don't want to go mob handed so a few pointers would be handy...............birdsnest

Birdsnest, the main fly you want is the one you feel confident with! I can't yet quite offer the experience and skills of others but the ones that have worked for me over the years are:

Silver Stoats tail - love this on a small double.
    Black & Dovery Orange - fish this one on a large double
    Steff's ESB - must admit I think this is a great fly (but don't tell him that)
    Blackie - again tend to fish this on a large double.
    Alexandra - very lightly dressed has accounted for a few of my fish.
    Black and silver tubes also.

Best wishes for your trip.

Simon

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes Simon. I have a few of those patterns. It's interesting to get a handle on what other Teifi nuts :> consider a killer fly. I prefer the silver stoat on a wee double myself when in Scotland. Good to see it works in the land of song too...................birdsnest

Comment

I've not fished the Teifi for ages but my nost successful fly for the last 3 or 4 seasons (on the Ribble/Lune) has been Steff's Deuoni, which I know he developed on the Teifi. I rarely take it off the dropper.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Steff's ESB - must admit I think this is a great fly (but don't tell him that)
          That must have hurt! I bet your fingers were bleeding as you typed! :>

Originally posted by T7 View Post
          I've not fished the Teifi for ages but my nost successful fly for the last 3 or 4 seasons (on the Ribble/Lune) has been Steff's Deuoni, which I know he developed on the Teifi. I rarely take it off the dropper.
          Thanks T7, and good to know that it's still doing the business. My mate use to fish it a lot on the Ribble and kept hammering chub on it!! :>

To be honest birdsnest the guys have covered this well. Think about carrying a range of sizes, weights and colours. Think about different profiles. Explore tangents of red, blue, black and silver and you won't go far wrong on the Teifi, or with sea-trout in general.

Early June tends to be more on the tubes etc. for the night fishing. Never much good for surface lures in early June on the Teifi. ESB would be great on the dropper and perhaps a 1.25" aluminium black and red tube on the point. You won't go far wrong.

TT.

Comment

p.s. here's the ESB for you. I nearly always tie it with holographic silver tinsel nowadays though for the rib.

http://www.sea-trout.co.uk/showthrea...ly+season+blue

TT.

Comment

Thanks for that steff.......I'm off to the tying bench........birdsnest

Comment

Totally my pleasure.

These are old, but may be worth a look at too:

http://www.fishing.visitwales.com/en...ver_Teifi.aspx

http://www.fishing.visitwales.com/en...%99s_Sea_.aspx

Best wishes and keep the questions coming.

TT.

Comment

Great flies Steff.............are they available commercialy or will I need to dress my own ? Time is a little pressing at the moment so I would rather buy a load and dress a few..............lawer ddiolch (I hope that's right)........birdsnest

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post

Thanks T7, and good to know that it's still doing the business. My mate use to fish it a lot on the Ribble and kept hammering chub on it!! :>

TT.
                    Never had a chub on it (that I can remember anyway). I get my chub on 2 inch tubes/snakes!!! Had a 7 pounder season before last! No chub at all last season for some reason?{;

Comment

Originally posted by birdsnest View Post
                      Great flies Steff.............are they available commercialy or will I need to dress my own ? Time is a little pressing at the moment so I would rather buy a load and dress a few..............lawer ddiolch (I hope that's right)........birdsnest
                      Hi Birdsnest,

You will need to dress your own I'm afraid, or drop Cullster on the forum an email, he'll soon sort you out and ties a fantastic fly. If he reads this he may even drop you a pm.

As for your Welsh, thanks a lot for trying Birdsnest, it is really appreciated. |\ Totally understood, and not a problem.

Thanks,

Steff.

Comment

Working...
                      X