upstream spinning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upstream spinning

Ok as the title says Im after some input into upstream spinning!!

To elaborate I will sometimes before I go home after a night session put a wee mepp or a quill minnow through the steam entering the head of a pool if no fish played at night. My normal rod would be around 8-9' so I can operate it 1 handed when casting especially in thight spots.

Now heres the problem!! I break spinning rods::/ and I mean break them Ive had a few during my sea trouting exploits of yester year. The best rod I had was Ron Tomson which was bought in the indoor market in Cardigan, after I bust my rod which I took with me on holiday:} I cant remember the casting weight or model which it was as its no longer in the house after I bust that rod on the Till!!!

Mepp caught on grass at feet a wee tug to free and yes another 3 part rod!!!!:?

Ive been looking online at different rods and have several in mind. But cant for the love of me decide which weight to get e.g. 7-28grm or 15-40grm?? What action would you prefer?
    Last edited by XL50; 30-03-2010, 10:42. Reason: spelling
    CHEERS
    JOHN

My Fishing show (Im on the camera)
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...t00769-1-1.jpg

Hi Xl50
    May be of interest.
    I've got a Daiwa 9ft C98, grafters that seem to go on for ever. I'm on my 2nd in 21 years, and the first one broke when it was jammed in a car door! My advice is get on ebay and have a look.
    Tight Lines in 2010.
    Aled

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
      Hi Xl50
      May be of interest.
      I've got a Daiwa 9ft C98, grafters that seem to go on for ever. I'm on my 2nd in 21 years, and the first one broke when it was jammed in a car door! My advice is get on ebay and have a look.
      Tight Lines in 2010.
      Aled
      Cheers Aled Ive looked as I love that range of Diawa rods but didnt see any. Why do manufacturers mahe a good range of rods then stop!! The fly rods were imense!
      CHEERS
      JOHN

Comment

Originally posted by XL50 View Post
        Ok as the title says Im after some input into upstream spinning!!

To elaborate I will sometimes before I go home after a night session put a wee mepp or a quill minnow through the steam entering the head of a pool if no fish played at night. My normal rod would be around 8-9' so I can operate it 1 handed when casting especially in thight spots.

Ive been looking online at different rods and have several in mind. But cant for the love of me decide which weight to get e.g. 7-28grm or 15-40grm?? What action would you prefer?
        Hi XL50, I'm no spinning guru but your 2 paragraphs above tell me that for the situations described you need a rod very similar to the rod I use when I spin for sewin: 8'6" 7-28 grms. You certainly dont need anything any longer or anything with the ability to cast baits heavier than 28 grms on a river with low flows.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-rod View Post
          Hi XL50, I'm no spinning guru but your 2 paragraphs above tell me that for the situations described you need a rod very similar to the rod I use when I spin for sewin: 8'6" 7-28 grms. You certainly dont need anything any longer or anything with the ability to cast baits heavier than 28 grms on a river with low flows.

Hope that helps.
          Cheers mate out of curiosity what rod are you using?
          CHEERS
          JOHN

Comment

Originally posted by XL50 View Post
            Cheers mate out of curiosity what rod are you using?
            Hi XL50, It's an old Hardy 8'6" Fibatube(fiber glass) about 30+ years old, nice soft through action, unlike alot of modern rods.
            But like I said I'm not a spinning guru.

Comment

It sounds very similar to my bruce and walker summer grilse spinning rod that I own.
              CHEERS
              JOHN

Comment

Working...
              X