Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airflo Sixth Sense lines VS Conventional

TT et al

Would like to hear your thoughts on the pro's / cons of the Sixth sense lines vs the rest. What do you guys fish with? do you have any prefernce i have a love / hate relationship with these lines and would value your thoughts.

tight lines

LL

LuckyLuke,
    I bought one of these 'Sixth Sense' lines this year, the very fast sinking one, and have to say, it 'does everything it says on the tin', so-to-speak.

It shoots like a rocket and the total non-stretch factor is a real plus..

Regards,

watermole..

Comment

Hi lucky luke

I've hread that the lines snap if you load them wrong when casting and when hooking fish but mainly when casting them maybe airflo have sorted this now that the lines have been on the market a while now.

Comment

I really should stop buying Airflo lines but each time their marketing gets me~#

I have a sixth sense ridge floater, and at first I was very pleased with it, reckoned it was casting a few yards further.

But the damn airflo coils soon appeared. Going to get sewincaster lines next time.

Don't really notice much benefit from the non-stretch, I know it is supposed to mean sensing the fish more easily and better hooking, but you end up striking/lifting more gently so it is much the same, and when fishing retrieve/swing, the normal line is pretty stretched as it is.

Different matter for dry fly or delicate nymph work and slow deep fishing with a sinking line, where I understand the lines excel - I mainly use a floating line.

Comment

Hi LL,

I have got some of these lines in the sinking versions, but, to be honest, haven't used them extensively. I really like the concept of the non-stretch, ultra-sensitive lines for sewin as the takes, at times, can be really delicate, and such lines should help capitalise on these - especially since the larger fish can give the lightest of takes.

Most Airflo lines, to a degree, are non-stretch, or have very little stretch compared to their competitors, which, again, does lend itself to sewin fishing IMHO.

I will try and give them a battering over the next few weeks and report back.

TT.

Comment

good stuff TT look forward to hearing your thoughts. Also when you go for a niths sewing bashing - do u take 1 or 2 rods and what lines do you normally just take a floating line with sinking tips and slow int? or any others.

LL

Comment

Hey LL,

this can depend on river height and time of year etc. but as a rule the following would apply:

I always carry 2 rods, it does save a lot of messing around. With the rivers being quite low at the moment one rod would be set-up with a floating line, with a fast-inter or a di-3 on the other. I would start with the floating line with a team of 2 flies; size and weight varrying to suit pool and conditions etc. as is the leader length. I would then carry a shorter leader with a surface lure attached in my pocket. After the first run through with the floater the leader would be swapped for the surface lure. I would then fish through with the second rod, then fished through a third time with the first rod and the surface lure. Quite a simple little process, but works well for me.

Best wishes,

TT.

Comment

TT

Thanks the heads up mate |\ - to be honest ive never done that scenario b4 usually i just fish a pool once with a floater and then an int - if nothing i move on to the next pool.........but not any more.............. but bet i still struggle to get a take lol

Comment

Hey LL,

to be honest if I know I'm fishing over a good holding pool I may spend all night fishing the same pool, adjusting the flies and lines for each run through, or as I progress through the pool - i.e. certain lines or weight of flies may suit certain areas etc. Experimenting is the key, and usually something will work, but not always....

Sorry, missed your question about lines; I tend to carry far too many! Too many to make a difference anyway. I do have some 8 different lines in the bag - no wonder I only fish one pool, I couldn't carry the bag any further!! :> The lines would be a variety of sink rates and sink-tips. To be honest, I could halve that amount, but I never get round to taking them out, and chances are when I do that'll be the time when I need them!

TT.

Comment

Working...
                  X