• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubeology...

I'm sure that you have all seen these advertised by now:

http://www.tubeology.net/

http://www.theessentialfly.com/tubeo...omponents.html

I managed to see some in-hand at the recent Spring Fly-Fair. I like the concept, and certainly adds some versatility to a single dressing. I like that you can just change the colour of the head, or the weight of the head quickly and simply.

However, I can't say that these are the final evolution, sadly. I didn't like how the heads left the tied of the flies so exposed, I thought a greater tapering of the conehead, or even a method other than screw and thread would overcome this. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure that they will be successful.

TT.

cost a few bob to cover all angles steff :>

Comment

Too right! I was surprised to see that as a rule you would have to buy the kits to get started with the concept. Personally I think that limits the market, as not many would be prepared to fork out that kind of money, but would quite happily take a gamble with a few quid as a test.

But I'm sure they've done their marketing and know what they're doing. We'll see, time will tell, I guess.

Anyone actually tried them? Fished with them?

TT.

Comment

I would have concerns about the tubes abrading the leader, the tubes are unlined. I know that some tubes such as the Loop bottle tubes were said to be OK to use unlined, but from experience I found that no matter how smooth the metal appear to be the leader was still being abraded over the course of the day. The tubes also look on the clumsy side to my eye.
        http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi?

Comment

Originally posted by G Ritchie View Post
          I know that some tubes such as the Loop bottle tubes were said to be OK to use unlined, but from experience I found that no matter how smooth the metal appear to be the leader was still being abraded over the course of the day.
          Couldn't agree more GR. I remember buying lengths of very slim aluminium and copper tubing from a model shop to try and make some home-made tube bodies. The tubing was so thin that you couldn't get a liner fine enough to accommodate them. Sure enough, regardless of what you did the tubing would still cut the line. With the same being applicable to the bottle tubes that arrive unlined. Certainly not worth leaving to chance.

Even the conehead tip that I put on the forum a couple of days ago. They needed to be lined to stop them from cutting the line too.

To be honest I didn't notice that they were unlined. That is a major oversight on their account, sadly.

Again, the concept is great, but the execution seems to be lacking at this early stage.

TT.

Comment

Working...
          X