Cypermethrin, permanent ban!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cypermethrin, permanent ban!!

At last common sense has prevailed. Cypermethrin has now been permanently banned. Those holding stock can still use it, sadly, but at least this puts a stop to longterm future use, which can only serve to benefit our rivers and the environment as a whole.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/116552.aspx

TT.

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
    At last common sense has prevailed. Cypermethrin has now been permanently banned. Those holding stock can still use it, sadly, but at least this puts a stop to longterm future use, which can only serve to benefit our rivers and the environment as a whole.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/116552.aspx

TT.
    It's a start, but the road ahead is still not clear.
    We need the forestry commisions to come on board as well.
    With many headwaters under exessive forestation and the commisions policy of spraying, which many people don't know about.
    The liming projects accross the country will help but in my view it will take a bit more of an effort from everyone to get these once glorious rivers back to anything like we had, even 20 years ago, and with the economic climate as it is at the moment, it will be a very hard slog to fight for every penny to sustain an ongoing plan.
    There are no quick fixes, but if we can leave the river systems in a better state for the next generation and beyond, then maybe we can give ourselves a bit of a pat on the back.
    However it's criminal that we allowed them to get to the state they're in now without some sort of a fight back.
    Remember the land drainage schemes of the 60/70/80.resulting in many rivers rising too fast and dropping just as fast. Prime example, my home river, the Teify, she used to hold her water for days after heavy rain, but now without any top up she drops back very fast.
    Also with the flooding came the erosion, with many fine pools dissapearing and silting up.
    Remember the slurry pits that were built around the same time, for a certain number of stock per unit. What happened to the numbers since(increased) but the pits stayed the same. Resulting in many being flushed down the rivers due to overflowing.
    The dips we know of(at last).
    There is more but I should stop the rant for now.
    Gives us a little to think about.

Cap

Comment

Couldn't agree more Cap. This is a small step, but a significant step.

Regarding the forestries; I understand that they were using cypermethrin too. But with the product being pulled this should also stop its usage from this perspective?

TT.

Comment

Working...
      X