varnish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• varnish

hi guys just checked my fav seatrout rod [scott] getting the gear ready for the oncoming season and to my horror i must have put my rod into the bag wet as the varnish has gone white in some areas, i have cleaned the rod and left it to dry for 3 days but it is still the same. apart from sending it back is there any way to get rid of the discolouring that you know of thanks billy p

Originally posted by speycaster View Post
    hi guys just checked my fav seatrout rod [scott] getting the gear ready for the oncoming season and to my horror i must have put my rod into the bag wet as the varnish has gone white in some areas, i have cleaned the rod and left it to dry for 3 days but it is still the same. apart from sending it back is there any way to get rid of the discolouring that you know of thanks billy p
    Hi there speycaster,
    The laquer/varnish will take on this opaque whiteness when exposed to prolonged contact with moisture, especially in enclosed areas, i.e. rod bags and tubes are classics.
    Due to the flexing action of most, if not all rods, the coating will develop minute cracks where the guide foot meets the blank. This is a prime area for moisture penetration. The other being the tunnels formed either side of the guide foot, sometimes these will not have been sealed/filled with laquer/varnish.
    I would leave the rod in a dry and warm room or cabinet with plenty of air circulation for a week or more before deciding on the next course of action.
    If not clear after this time either ask the makers if they would undertake the job of
    re-whipping and laquering or get someone to do the job for you.

ON NO ACCOUNT TRY TO FIX PROBLEM WITH A NAKED FLAME TO THE WHIPPINGS
    There might be a rod builder close to you, where do you live?
    Cap

Comment

hi mate thanks for the reply i live in cheshire uk england ,the the damage is not to the area around the whipings but all the way up the blank where the rod bag has been in contact with the rod itself, i dont want to send it back to scott as the last rod i sent for repair took 5 months to be replaced and lost the freindship of a really good freind as he was a director of the company he took it personally billy p|\

Comment

took the rod to a pro rod builder today £70.00 all in .an expensive mistake not to be made again lol

Comment

Working...
        X