Rod building and repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod building and repair

Well, with the 09 season drawing to a close I'm looking to be getting back into the cabin and getting on with some rod building.
    Was wondering if it was worth doing a step by step on the project, and maybe T.T giving it a dedicated page of it's own.
    If I don't have any health probs then I will start around the 1st of November.
    Would like some feedback from other forum members, to hear what they think of the idea.

Cap

Great idea Steelheadnut, I would be very interested in your step by step guide, don't suppose you could make it a 15ft Double Handed Salmon rod I'm thinking of getting one?
    Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J Simcox View Post
      Great idea Steelheadnut, I would be very interested in your step by step guide, don't suppose you could make it a 15ft Double Handed Salmon rod I'm thinking of getting one?
      Pete.
      Afraid not, it'll be a single hander, not sure yet on length. I will be going through what blanks I have before deciding.
      Cap

Comment

Originally posted by steelheadnut View Post
        Afraid not, it'll be a single hander, not sure yet on length. I will be going through what blanks I have before deciding.
        Cap

Hi Cap,

You wouldn't have any 3wt fibre glass blanks you want to offload before I order from over the pond.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by springwell View Post
          Hi Cap,

You wouldn't have any 3wt fibre glass blanks you want to offload before I order from over the pond.

Bill

Afraid not Bill.
          Where are you getting your blanks from?

Cap

Comment

Possibly Steffen Brothers or a bog standard Lamiglas.

For the rod building bits and also blanks either Anglers Workshop or Mudhole.

Even with a possible 30% increase to allow for import vat, uk delivery and not such a good exchange rate still comes in at a good price, especially as I can't get fibre glass fly blanks anymore in the UK and I don't fancy paying £200 or so for a Hardy Glass when I can make a similar rod for less than half the price!!!

Might even treat myself to an Eagle Claw rod for $20 !!the postage would cost more than the rod though !!!

Bill
            Last edited by springwell; 21-10-2009, 12:20.

Comment

Hi Cap,
              I’m looking forward to your step by step guide, as I was thinking of doing an 8' 6" 4-5 wt for dries on the river, if you could recommend a good book or DVD, I would be grateful, as this is my first go at rod building.
              Many Thanks
              Row

Comment

Originally posted by springwell View Post
                Possibly Steffen Brothers or a bog standard Lamiglas.

For the rod building bits and also blanks either Anglers Workshop or Mudhole.

Even with a possible 30% increase to allow for import vat, uk delivery and not such a good exchange rate still comes in at a good price, especially as I can't get fibre glass fly blanks anymore in the UK and I don't fancy paying £200 or so for a Hardy Glass when I can make a similar rod for less than half the price!!!

Might even treat myself to an Eagle Claw rod for $20 !!the postage would cost more than the rod though !!!

Bill
                Hi there Bill,
                Mudhole are prety good at dealing with, I've used a few, Anglers workshop, Golden witch technologies, Shoff to name a few.
                Good luck,
                Cap

Comment

Originally posted by FachFawr View Post
                  Hi Cap,
                  I’m looking forward to your step by step guide, as I was thinking of doing an 8' 6" 4-5 wt for dries on the river, if you could recommend a good book or DVD, I would be grateful, as this is my first go at rod building.
                  Many Thanks
                  Row
                  One of the best books IMHO is"Advanced Custom Rod Building" by Dale P. Clemens.
                  As for DVD, not sure if this is out on that format, but definately on VHS, Flex Coat Rod Building "How We Do It".
                  Also try www.solwaycustomcomponents.com for some materials and the Rod maker magazine
                  Hope this helps.
                  Cap
                  Last edited by steelheadnut; 21-10-2009, 16:55.

Comment

Hi Cap,
                    Many thanks for the advice above, I will have a search for them.

Thanks
                    Row

Comment

Well, it looks as if there will be a delay in starting this rod, waiting for a few items to arrive, if the postal strike doesn't delay things further. ::/ ::/
                      Cap

Comment

Sorry haven't followed up on this sooner. Cap; how about if I combine the fly-tying bench section with the rod building? rather than creating a whole new section for it? Calling; 'Fly-tying & Rod-building bench'? There aren't that many posts in the fly-tying bench section, so probably best to amalgamate the two if you're happy with that? Let me know and I'll get it created for you.

To be honest I've never seen a rods being built before, so look forward to seeing the process.

Thanks once more,

Steff.

Comment

Hi there Steff,
                          Yes ,it might be a good idea to combine the two.
                          I hope I can get all the components sorted in the coming week.
                          Cap

Comment

Working...
                          X