Leader set up 4 droppers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leader set up 4 droppers

On reading the thread 4 top flies, I would to thank everyone who replied because it helps us new guys no end to fish the flies with confidence as they are proved catchers, but a few of you fish droppers can you just give a few tips, e.g. overall length and how far away is your dropper, and what breaking strain as more people I talk to on the bank of Towy the more confused I am, and that’s not hard, if your fishing small droppers e.g. size 10 B175 surly a heavy breaking strain will be to stiff to give the fly movement, and to finish maybe preferred choice of line.
    May I than you in advance for your kind time.
    I look forward to reading some answers.
    Fachfawr

i use 12 or 15lb leader 7 foot long for the floater and 3-5 ft for the sinker i would tye my dropper at the halfway point

Comment

Thanks

Many Thanks for the reply Speycaster |\

Comment

ps, seatrout are not generally leader shy so dont fish to light as they have a habit of making tremendus runs and will find every snag possible so you may well need to bully them quite a bit also if you are fishing big flies ,tubes .lures a heavier leader helps to turn them over billy p|\

Comment

Thanks

Nice one Speycaster,
          Many Thanks
          FachFawr

Comment

I'd agree with Speycaster about set up - 7-9 foot on a floater, 3-5 on a sinker. Dropper in the middle. I use 10lb maxima usually...

Comment

Dropper point fly separation

Another confirming opinion...
              Lengths quoted for floater 7' - 9' and sinker leader about 4' are what I use. When I started an old hand on the Teifi advised me to put my dropper about 2' or so above the point fly as "sewin like a good chase and can be competitive ...thinking that your dropper is being chased by your point fly". It seems to work for me |\

TL's
              IanMcD

Comment

Working...
              X