Top 4 flies for sea trout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 4 flies for sea trout?

New to the forum so please take it easy on me. Have been looking in for a while and it seems to be gaining strength lately which is great. Have decided to have a go chasing some sea trout this year and was wondering what you all use in regards to flies? what would be your favourite or top 4 flies?
    I am very new to all this so please excuse any stupid questions that I may ask over the next few weeks. We have got to start some where I guess.
    Robert.

Hi Robert,

Don't worry about stupid questions- even some regulars ask them!

As for flies mine would be:

1 inch black and silver plastic tube
    Deuoni in blue and silver or red and silver (take a bow Steff :>)
    2 inch blue and silver aluminium tube
    Deer hair mouse

All the patterns should be on the forum somewhere...

Tight lines

Comment

Thanks T7! :> Good to see that it's still producing for you.

Robert; thanks for joining and for getting involved. As T7 rightly said; don't worry about stupid questions, believe you me I'm sure most have come across worse!

There must be a lot of people in the same situation as you Robert, so don't be shy about asking even the most basic of questions, there are plenty of people on here that will give you good, sound, honest advice.

I tend to go through fashions with my flies, and would certainly have favourite patterns for different rivers. I would put 2 main points forward first that puts this all into perspective:

1. Aled will echo this and often champions the notion; confidence in what you fish is paramount. Having confidence in the pattern you're fishing can be a key variable - I'd rather see you fish an ugly brute of a fly with confidence than an impeccably tied offering with none. Further to that; confidence in a pattern or patterns is created by recommendations such as what you're being given here on the forum and certainly when you're on the riverbank. Go to a stocked fishery and if someone is starting to catch a point arises when someone asks "what are you catching on mate?". A change of fly is made and soon enough your luck can change. Is this because the fish were actually reacting to that particular colour or offering? or because of the renewed confidence of knowing someone else has been and is catching on it? I'd say that it's a little of both, but it comes as no consequence that a handful of flies catch most of the fish on lakes (superglue buzzer, damsel, montana), this is down to confidence in a fly because of past success or the success of others which you can feed off. The exact same principal can does apply to sea-trout flies and fishing.

2. Don't concentrate too much on carrying a huge amount of different patterns. Start with some simple colours; black, silver, blue, red. The carry them in a range of sizes, weight and profiles. If you did this then I would be confident in you catching on any sea-trout river in the world! :> It's more important to have the different sizes, shapes and weights than boxes full of different patterns. So start small with your collection and start simple with your dressing. This will hold you in good stead.

My favourite 4 at the moment would be:

1. ESB - just a general squirrel, blue and silver pattern fished on the dropper.
      2. Surface lure of some description - preferably a jambo.
      3. Black and silver tube; either with just a silver body and black wing, or black floss body, silver holo tinsel rib, black wing with silver mobile over, black false hackle, JC cheeks. I would fish this in stinger style too.
      4. Deuoni - but for the Teifi only; never done much good for me on the Towy.

For the Towy I do like something with a bit of yellow in it too, but not for the Teifi. Again, this could be a confidence thing.

Anyway, looking forward to see what everyone else puts forward.

TT.

Comment

All wets for droppers on size 8's short would be Peter Ross, Butcher, teal blue+silver, with a 1 1/2 ins black and silver with may be a red,yellow,blue throat hackle waddy on the point. But these are just for me and not all will agree.|\

Comment

For the Towy:

1. Black and Silver tube 1.0"
          2. Black and Silver tube 1.5"
          3. Black and Silver tube 2.0"
          4. Black and Silver tube 2.5"

This is not really a joke either, a wake fly might be useful but i wouldn't want to be out without the above, at times I put a red throat on hem, or a blue one - but I don't think it matters.

Comment

Simon has beat me to it.

On the Tywi I've had most success on black and silver tubes (2" most often) and if a crash dive required,then black and silver waddingtons.Other than that,don't forget the jambo surface lure.

I know that most folks focus on flies,but you also need to consider what depth of water/how fast you're fishing them.You will need a range of lines or tips to cover eventualities ie higher water,deeper pools etc.Sorry if you know this already - just trying to be helpful.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

Wow a lot to absorb here thank you very much everyone. I cannot believe the responses and so quickly, truly thanks.

Would the same flies apply for daytime fishing to? Or would these just be for night fishing?

Thanks once again. Robert.

Comment

size 6's 8's 10's short or long Peter Ross, Butcher, teal blue+silver, Towy toper all of theses will be fine for day time + many many more but if you just use these you wont get to muddle up |\

Comment

Working...
                X