Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackrel

Hello All
    My Father in law loves to eat these fish, so i would love to take him somewhere where we could catch a few. Can anyone suggest a rock mark, pier, harbour etc where we can throw a silver toby/spoon and catch a few. I live in Llandeilo so anywhere within a reasonable driving distance in West Wales woulb be appreciated.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

ps if you wish to pm me i will understand and promise discretion, it will very much be a one off trip!

I think Chuck is your man here Aled, does a lot on the sea fishing, so should be able to point you in the right direction.

For West-Wales, the two marks that I would recommend are; Mwnt (but certainly not in wet or stormy weather). To be honest, this is a great mark for mackerel. Another superb rock mark is located just on the North side of Aberporth town. There's a coastal path that you take, and after around 200 metres and passing a small house/train carriage there's a path leading to the right that takes you down onto some rocks. Usually a top spot. Got a small thornback ray off there about 3 weeks ago.

Steff.

Comment

Try Hobbs point or Stackpool now or wait in till august and go to Sandersfoot and Amrorth for some really easy fishing.|\

Comment

Theres a rock mark down in Dale which the locals have dubbed 'Tesco's' its so productive, Aberporth/mwnt would be a waste of time at the moment, even those with boats are struggling off the coast just now. Personally i would go with Raptars suggestion and head off to Stackpole, if you head off right from the carpark around the quay you should find the best spots easily enough..

Comment

Thanks guys, thats great pieces of information. I know Mwnt quite well as i used to visit there as a kid. Will be visiting one of these spots in the next few weeks.
          Tight Lines
          Aled|\

Comment

Hi

Apologies for not replying sooner, but I've been terrorizing the fish around Alderney in the channel islands for a few days!

There are a few places I'd recommmend.........

Amroth, Burry Port (by where the dredger is moored), or Mumbles pier (£3 per rod though). All of these places produce decent numbers of mackerel, but as it's only the start of June, they will be patchy. One thing though for these marks - pick a nice day with relatively high (spring) tide with high water just before of after dawn/dusk (whichever you plan on fishing).

If you want to get out asap though, Martins Haven, Manorbier and Stackpole as previously mentioned should have plenty of fish there now though. Tides don't really matter here, but please take care on the rocks, and don't go near them if the swell is too big - there's always the danger of a rogue wave, that could sweep you into the sea!

You could even take your fly rod......the mackies are great fun on fly gear. A cats whisker or something white seems to get the best results. And there's always the chance of bumping into a bass along the way.

Mackies are easy enough to catch - even Phil Rich has caught a few in years gone past (not many though!!!:@).

Good luck, if you need any more info - let me know.

Aled
            Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

Originally posted by jones View Post
              Aberporth/mwnt would be a waste of time at the moment, even those with boats are struggling off the coast just now.
              Thanks for that Jones, and you're quite right - sorry Aled, didn't think about the time of the year, they're good marks for later in the summer anyway.

Chuck, top notch. |\

Thanks for the other replies too (raptar etc), good to read.

TT.

Comment

Brilliant response. A big thanks to all of you, shows how good the brotherhood of the angler is. Special mention to Chuck though great info.
                Right will now speak to Tadcu, and we'll get a day out. |\
                Tight Lines
                Aled

Comment

No worries guy's,

Like with all fishing - time of year, weather, tides, wind speed, wind direction, temperature, all play a part.........but thankfully the humble mackerel has to be the most obliging fish out there (apart from blydi dogs!).

They are a bit scarce on the ground at the moment, but should be around in increasingly greater numbers over the next sets of spring tides, right through until the middle of september.

You can't beat a sunny evening in August down Amroth with a set of feathers and a BBQ (and a beer or 2 if your not driving!) :>

Pob lwc

Chuck (Aled)
                  Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

Hmmmm............before you eat them.....perhaps you'd be best using them as bait!!!!!! :?

You could manage something like these on a nice juicy mackerel.......

lol.
                    Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

Impressive looking fish there Chuck, very nice indeed. ~:.

TT.

Comment

Agree with TT that there are some very nice fish there Chuck. Well done. That Turbot in particular is a real beauty|\. No wonder sea anglers go to the Channel Islands!

Phil

Comment

Cheers guys, I can't catch a thing on the rivers - need some of the sea fishing luck to rub off!!

Aled
                          Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

Working...
                          X