sea trout start to run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sea trout start to run

can anyone tell me when the ideal time of year/month is best to start pursuing these critters, regards jason.:@

It all depends Jason on what river you intend fishing? as some fish better earlier than others.That said ,June would be a good bet,with most rivers having a good head of fish in the system by then,not to mention milder temperatures if fishing at night.

SG

Comment

Watch the weather. Sea trout run all year and can be caught from April to September, though later fish are likely to be coloured. If there is high water, they run through quickly, and you catch bugger all at night unless your name is Steffan :>

But you are more likely to catch in the day, spinning or worming.

In dry weather, especially when the river is showing it's bones, they get held up in the pools, most pools have a fair stock and if you are careful and don't alarm them you stand a good chance. That could be in June, July or August and for most rivers those are the months when most are caught.

Comment

re sea trout run

Thanks very much, to all who replied, i obviously are under the misperception they only run at night, but hey i caught a schoolie tonight just before it got dark! (and returned of course) , I am fishing the river adur down here in the south of England............never fished it before moved from Brighton about 8-9years ago and I always favoured the ouse, but it is too much of a trip now, especially after work, fishings been stalled for a few years because of the youngsters we decided to spawn a few years ago.

Comment

re sea trout run

Thanks very much, to all who replied, i obviously are under the misperception they only run at night, but hey i caught a schoolie tonight just before it got dark! (and returned of course) , I am fishing the river adur down here in the south of England............never fished it before moved from Brighton about 8-9years ago and I always favoured the ouse, but it is too much of a trip now, especially after work, fishings been stalled for a few years because of the youngsters, we decided to spawn a few years ago. Gonna cost me double when they follow in my hobbies!:>HA HA

Comment

Good start to the season, nice one Jason. |\

Not much to add really, as the guys have given good advice.

Local knowledge is always key in such matters, and run times can vary dramatically between areas.

Some rivers are renowned for having early runs, such as the Till, Towy etc. whereas others get going a lot later. However, having said that, any sea-trout river worth noting should have a good head of fish present by July, and I would be seriously worried if it didn't. Again, there will be exceptions to the rule, but this would be the norm.

Usually using mid-June to mid-August would be the 'main' or 'peak' run time.

TT.

Comment

Thanks again

Smashing, thanks for the reply again, yes, really enjoyed just being out and about with no other sole in sight, (punn not intended). Its rather hit and miss for me, no local knowledge, but I'll give it a fair ole bash this summer every waking hour i can muster............then there will be knowledge, yes its absolutely useless in this river! ( ha ha). Thanks again Jason.{;

Comment

Hey Jason, when you were fishing the Ouse was that at Barcombe? I live half an hour away, but have never fished it as I am under the impression that it is purely a spinning river with nowhere you can really catch with the fly.

Would love to hear some more from somebody who has actually caught sea trout from there!

Have you got a run on the Adur? Any fly water there? Not heard of sea trout running there, though I am sure there must be as all the southern rivers have a run of some description.

Comment

Re:-ouse

I reckon its possible to fish the pool at barcombe very successfully with fly or a favourite spot for locals is at hamsey, there are some seriously big fish in the pool and thats where they end up, thats at barcombe mills, i met a guy there one day that came all the way down from london, he fished the ouse on a regular basis, absolute fanatic about this particular stretch, the guy removed his pocket book photo album, unbelieveable...he had some big big fish, sadly or maybe i,m a purist but he only caught on spinners, tobys! Also if you go and look at the pool when it hasnt been raining for a spell, you can see them in all their glory and not one of them was under 6 pound.it just seems sad and not right to fish right in the final resting place............more sporting picking them up say at hamsey, lookout for the fork and the weir, fish the smaller one as they prefer that then the weir side, tight lins.jb. Lucky living so near!:>

Comment

Walked the river last night. First of all at the bridge at Hamsey, tiny river but nice ripples, looked good if a little clayey. We spotted a 2lb trout holding in the fast water. My son tried to wind me up by throwing in a rock, resulting in a HUGE bow wave shooting up the pool, disturbing several other very large fish. That bow wave went for 75 yards and must have been a double. Astonishing.

Unfortunately the bit that looks very fishy is very overgrown and almost impossible to fish, then comes up into a canal where it rejoins the river. Talking to a regular at Barcombe, he told me that he believes the river has the highest average weight of any river in the British Isles and he is convinced it will break the British record in the near future. Last year he landed 6, two doubles, and lost 12. Year before he hooked 9, landed 9. Talked of one local who last year landed 25, 15 of which were doubles. Very hard to land the fish because of the snags. Apparently last year at the pub, which has boats on the river tied up by the fish pass, they found a fish in the morning that had jumped into a boat from the pass - 26lb.

They do fish with fly, but daytime spinning is the key, depending on the tides. Whole stretch very tidal. All fish kept have to have scales sent in as research is done constantly on the stocks. The river is recovering from a bad pollution incident in 2001. It seems that these fish feed at sea off the Hook of Holland, so they dont have a long sea journey and they dont have to go far up the river, all the obstacles being cleared by the tide, so the fish are short and deep not having to work hard.

Now if anyone can tell me how to fish a canal with the fly, that would be much appreciated!

Comment

Re: Barcombe

Sounds promising........but wouldn,t have a clue, fishing it with a fly? Lots of snags, but possibly be a damn good laugh trying! One good thing because its hard, at least its never going to be over fished! Ha ha. The ouse pres do a damn good job..leaving it natural.:>

Comment

Discovered that high tide upriver is 3 hours later than at river mouth ~# - not impressed by the amount of seaweed floating upstream either! runs faster upstream than down!

Found a few pools on the river, but very, very slow. Hugely difficult to get to the bank as well, except at Hamsey. Seeing fish, though.

Comment

Re ouse

Hello salarex, i was talking to one of the rangers at arlington, he told me there are many people pursuing sea trout on that stretch, i was going to give it a go, but apparently there are decreasing numbers noticed over recent years, no catch and release allowed, find that a bit hard to believe in this day and age, especially going under the name of "ouse preservation society"! Also had a bad time with pollution from a local business. Be interested to learn how you get on, are you going to try fly? {;

Comment

Rainbow trout

Hi salarex, forgot to mention i had eight rainbows at arlington, great day, all on buzzers.keep posting, might come and join you!:>

Comment

Very different from what I have discovered!

The pollution incident was in 2001 or 2003, compensation was agreed last year and OAPS received £50,000 which they are not very happy about. Sea trout numbers seem to be coming back from there very well.

Catch and release is actively encouraged - you may keep only one fish in a 7 day period, 3 in a season, and you MUST fish with barbless hooks. These are laid down rules in the society, so your ranger doesn't seem to be fully in the picture!!!

I can't speak about the numbers - so far I haven't found anyone on the river, but possibly I have been going at the wrong time, still trying to work that out. Think the hour after sunset and the hour before sunrise are the critical times.

Well done at Arlington, we fish it occasionally then switch to Powdermill for the mayfly hatch, then switch to sea trout :>

Let me know when you want a visit to the Ouse!

Comment

Working...
                              X